Alone Together review by Dave Mason

• Released: Jan 1, 1970
Dave Mason: Alone Together

This album has a timeless quality to it, while at the same time, hearing it will remind you of why the '70s were so great. The band plays tightly, and you'll hear a variety of instruments used throughout the songs, all played impressively well. I honestly have never heard another album that has the exact same style as this, and I have heard a lot of music from that era. Dave Mason was at his prime when he recorded this after leaving Traffic and it shows. Also, Eric Clapton adds an unforgettable solo to the end of the last track that is something to be heard.

Dave Mason's lyrics aren't always the best, but on this album he shines. Every lyric fits perfectly with the song it's in and more often than not you're likely to find some of them getting stuck in your head. Pretty much all of them are about relationships, but it's not overdone and it's in a way that most people can relate to. Also, I have to mention that Mason has a great voice that doesn't try to upstage the music behind it and instead blends well with it.

This album is definitely in my top 10. If it was stolen I'd be super pissed because this album is kind of hard to find on cd. If you like Traffic, Blind Faith, or music of that time, chances are you'll love this album. My favorite tracks are "Can't Stop Worrying, Can't Stop Loving", "Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave", and "World In Changes", but I'd have to say every single track stands out on it's own, which is probably one of the reasons I like this album. Each song has it's own little personality and quirks, which is great for replay value. I think I listened to this album maybe 10 times the day I got it. I simply couldn't take my ears off it! I strongly recommend this to any clasic rock enthusiast.

ajm112446
    This album was so far ahead of it's time. I think the guitar rif in 'Look at you, look at me' is right up there or better than Zeplin's Stairway to Heaven. If you listen heard, you can here the comment, 'listen to myself' right after the last solo. Certainly one one of the best albums from that time...