The Best Of David Bowie 1969/1974 review by David Bowie

• Released: Oct 7, 1997
David Bowie: The Best Of David Bowie 1969/1974

This is the classic collection of David Bowie's hits. All the twenty songs show his world-wide talent. 'Jean Genie' is a perfect song of Bowie's to give as an example of his pure, amazing structures and upbeat songs. You'd wanna listen to any of these songs any time, whatever your mood as you really feel good about his style. His sad and happy situations in his lyrics tell morals and instantly reals you in. There's loads of good chords to songs and a lot of gentle and fast flowing, easy going songs which have nice harmonys. Bowie produces peaceful, upbeat, mysterious songs. He has a whole range that are really lovely to listen to any time.

Nothing compares to the voice of David Bowie. 'Space Oddity' has nice lyrics and a good one to play on guitar or keyboard. He has a unique voice and look. Throughout the album is nice warming storys. There's just something about that voice of his that goes perfectly with the music he creates. He produces excellent meaningful lyrics in every track you ever hear of his. He has peaceful lyrics that could put you to sleep! Bowie really knows wht he's talking about in his songs. It's fun picking out bits in songs where there's a spurt of good lyrics but still all the time the lyrics are entertaining.

Being solo would be harder than being in a band you'd expect, but Bowie pulls off an overall great sound. He stuns everyone with his live performances and how original he is compared to other artists around. He made a tremendous diffrence in music in the '70s. The most impressive songs on this album are: 'The Jean Genie', 'Space Oddity', 'Starman', 'Ziggy Stardust', 'John, I'm Only Dancing', 'Rebel Rebel' 'Suffragette City', 'Oh You Pretty Things', 'Changes' and finally 'Life On Mars'. God, there's an awful lot of songs to choose from and all twenty of them are excellent. What more can you say about this world-wide artist except he's a British music legend!

Quark113
    I've got Best of Bowie (not same thing) and I've only listened to it for about 45 min. and I've already listened 2 every 'best song' U mentioned 'cept Rebel Rebel BTW blasphemy 4 a Bowie fan, but Life on Mars sux!
    swave75
    I absolutely love this disc. This is (to me at least) one of those discs you need in your collection. A timeless wonder.