The Next Day review by David Bowie

• Released: Mar 8, 2013
David Bowie: The Next Day

David Bowie has not released any studio recordings in ten years. Back when he was one of the most active Rock musicians in the world, his music continually went through drastically different stages, earning him a reputation as the music world's greatest chameleon. His latest album, "The Next Day," released this March, continues the tradition of changing styles. My overall opinion of this album is that it manages to borrow a bit from each of Bowie's recording periods, but it still sounds like something different, unique and unexpected.

Well, as anyone who's ever actually listened to the lyrics of "Ziggy Stardust" can tell you, David Bowie writes very strange things. Given his family history of insanity, this really comes as no surprise. The lyrics are not bad and they fit quite well with the accompanying music. By the way, I'm surprised to say David Bowie can still sing. His voice doesn't seem to have changed all that much in forty years, which is good, because, as I just mentioned, he is an actual singer, opposed to someone like Dave Roth who just talks and lets machines make his voice amazing.

The whole album is good, not the best David Bowie album ever, but very surely not the worst. I never really thought he was going to record music ever again, after he had to cancel the 2004 tour, due to heart problems, but I am glad he decided to put out more material. I'll just go ahead and say it: if "The Next Day" had been released all those years ago when Rock music was real, it probably would have been the weirdest thing ever, however, in the modern musical world, this is actually one of the coolest albums you could possibly imagine. A sign that music is still alive.