The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars review by David Bowie

• Released: Jul 8, 2002
David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

One of rocks truly great albums. This album takes inspiration from "Sgt Pepper," David Bowie records the album as his alter ego, "Ziggy Stardust". The sound is well balanced, and uses a standard rock band setup with the addition of a piano a string quartet and saxophones. The album success is largely good due to bowie's song writing ability. The hearty melodies and subtle chord progressions give the album complete freshness from one song to the next. The varied use of instrumentation gives the album a well balanced polyphonic feel which makes it fun to listen to. Some would critisise Bowie's voice for sounding weak in places but argue that Bowie's character shows through in his voice well and gives the album a completely unique style.

The lyrics tell the story of a time in the future 5 years before the worlds end. In this time, a young star called Ziggy Stardust rises to fame. The most important thing about this album is that the lyrics are not forced, they flow naturally and take on quite a space age approach much like that of pink floyd. Also, many of the lyrics are quite cleverly worded. The album climaxes with "rock n' roll suicide". In this song, bowie creates most beautifully empowering phrases and leaves us on the note that we are "wonderful".

This is by far, Bowie's best album. It rather reminds me of the who's "whos next", with the added touch of Bowie's imagination and song writing skill. However, it is just not quite in the same league as "whos next". Song's such as "Ziggy Stardust" and "starman" are widely acclaimed but the songs really are consistently strong which, for me, makes an album. "Lady stardust" is a power ballad which is verging on "Life on mars". Overall this is one of rocks defining moments and should be listened to by all, if only to get cultured.

JimPrenier_11
    This was the first Bowie album I ever bought. Then I liked it so mush I bought everyone I found in the store. Anyway this is one of my favorite albums.