In Concert [DVD] Review

artist: David Gilmour date: 06/21/2006 category: compact discs
David Gilmour: In Concert [DVD]
Release Date: October 21, 2002
Stripped to the bare essentials, and the antithesis of Pink Floyd's epic live performances, David Gilmour in Concert is a low-key, classy affair. Using footage from 2001's Meltdown Concert and his Royal Festival Hall show in 2002, Gilmour performs a mix of solo compositions and Floyd classics.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 7
 8.2
 8.8
 7.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
In Concert [DVD] Reviewed by: tobiasosir, on june 21, 2006

Sound: The sound for this concert is very good. I've watched it a few times on a stereo sound system, and once on a 5.1 system; the 5.1 of course was better, but even with the two channels you get wonderful sound quality. The band David Gilmour plays with was excellent; notable are the basist Chucho Merchan (seen groovin' to the music the whole concert, weather he's playing or not) and his 12 backup singers. A good performance from Caroline Dale on the cello, as well, good use of an electric cello (which, personally, I had never seen used before) on a version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Less notable were performances by guitarist/vocalist Neil MacColl (who played well, but didn't seem that into it, and was passed over a lot by the camera) and the few guest stars (see below), which seemed kind of tacked on to me. The concert as a whole sounds very good, and there weren't any places where I wished the sound had been mixed better. Some concert DVD's suffer from questionable sound quality, but this one was very well balanced. // 8

Overall Impression: I watched this soon after seeing Roger Waters' In The Flesh concert, and definately like Gilmour's better. It was a nice and easy, sit back and relax concert, and will definately bear repeated viewings (I've owned it less than a month, and I think I've watched it three times). I wasn't very familiar with Gilmour as a solo artist, but this DVD makes me want to look into him more. This is the kind of concert that makes you want to pick up your guitar right then and there and play along. It's the kind of concert that reminds you how powerful creating/listening to this kind of music can be. I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes classic rock/blues/just damn good music. If it were stolen/lost, I'd buy it agian in a heartbeat. // 10

Comments