Live In Gdansk Review

David Gilmour: Live In Gdansk
Released: Sep 22, 2008
Genre: Progressive Rock, Classic Rock, Symphonic Rock
Label: Columbia
It is a recording of the final show of his On an Island tour in 2006, where he played to an audience of 50,000 at the Gdask Shipyard to celebrate Poland's 1980 revolution.
 9.1
 8.7
 9.4
 1,152
review (1) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
Live In Gdansk Reviewed by: SPiK3, on october 10, 2008

Sound: This is one amazing bunch of CD's. Whether you bought the 2-Disk set or the 5-Disk Special Edition (The one I got), this pack of songs is sure to make any Pink Floyd or David Gilmour fan pleasantly surprised. As I really never listened to any of his solo stuff until buying this album a week or so ago, I really didn't know what to expect. But, a concert with two out of four of the main Pink Floyd members, was very welcomed into my CD collection. I really liked how they sounded very close to the older Pink Floyd, but with a much more aged tone to their voices, not that it was bad by any means, just different, I actually liked it more! Some of his solo songs from On an Island really won me over as well, especially Take a Breath and On an Island. I also really wanted to buy this album because, I believe, it was one of the last concerts Richard Wright ever preformed (He does so wonderfully). The Special Edition also comes with a ton of 'Easter Eggs', like a poster, and some pictures, a guitar pick, and a CD of 'On an Island'. One of my favorite albums by far. // 9

Lyrics: Since they did play a lot of Pink Floyd songs, including, Wish You Were Here, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Breathe, and many others, they lyrics were amazing on those songs. Gilmour's newer songs definitely did not have as touching or meaningful lyrics, (Smile really stood out as out of place for some reason) most of them were still very good. I really enjoyed the singing skills, both by Gilmour and by Wright. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I've said before, this is my first Gilmour album, so I really cannot compare it to any of his others, especially since On An Island is actually part of it. I would have to say, this probably tops some of the Pink Floyd albums I've listened to. The most impressive songs on the album were most like Take a Breath, Comfortably Numb, and Wish You Were Here. I especially like Take a Breath on the Concert DVD, because they have nearly enough strobe lights to give everyone watching a minor seizure. I also thought this album was really touching because it celebrated the anniversary of Poland's revolution against communism, which took place by the thousands of workers striking in the Gdask Shipyard. There is really nothing much to hate about this album and if I lost it I guess I'd have to buy it again, I just cannot stop listening to it. // 9

Comments