On An Island review by David Gilmour

• Released: Mar 7, 2006
David Gilmour: On An Island

On an Island is amazing. This album is one of rocks greatest albums ever in my opinion even though it has not been out that long. It is very mellow and peaceful. The guitar solos dave gives are straight out of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds Days. I think this is a kind of 'concept' album in a way that "Dark Side Of The Moon" was. It is about living on an island (the UK is an island), the 'sea', family and life. Wonderful tunes on each song plus a saxophone solo by dave on "Red Sky At Night." Phenominal music.

01. Castellorizon - no lyrics but a wonderful song throughout. 02. On An Island - great harmonies by Graham Nash and David Crosby along with the best vocal performance I've heard by dave since High Hopes. 03. The Blue - I think this is a very relaxing song. The vocals make me drift away like I am actually on the sea. I think this song is closely related to "Marooned" with the lyric 'still marooned' because to be (still) marooned, you must have been 'marooned' before. 04. Take A Breath - is a very 'obscured by cloudish' song. The intro "Take a breath, take a deep breath now" makes me feel weird inside. Awesome track. 05. Red Sky At Night - no lyrics except the shouts you can make out in the background. 06. This Heaven - very bluesy and classic. Great song and wonderful music to go with the lyrics. 07. Then I Close My Eyes - the best instrumental that I have ever heard. Enough said about this track. 08. Smile - this reminds me of a Paul McCartney solo song. Very cool because of the few instruments used on it. 09. A Pocketful Of Stones - a 'story' song. I think it is about a man dying and going to heaven. I love how the piano leads the song and the lyrics follow along with it. 10. Where We Start - my favorite track off this album. I love the lyrics. He is talking about time alone with his family on a trip in the woods I think. Cool song that is a 'standout' track on here.

This album sounds just like Pink Floyd in their prime. If it said "Pink Floyd" instead of "David Gilmour" on the cover, you would not know the difference. Should be a favorite for album of the year. My favorite album that is Pink Floyd related. Tops Dark Side Of The Moon in my opinion. Great, great album. It does not get much better than this.

zeppelin_2112
    A7X_hyperfan wrote: There's a problem with being too laid back, and that is no one will be interested in the music. I have nothing against Pink Floyd or any of it'a members, I just feel that music shouldn't be about being laid back. Music should keep you interested, not make you want to fall asleep.
    My favourite thing to do is fall asleep listening to the album Dark Side of the moon, it gives u the crazyest dreams! lol. By the way not all music has to be loud and untalented.
    cap'nkirk
    Well, I agree that music should be interesting, but laid back doesn't mean boring. I find a lot of Metal to be boring. Atreyu to me isn't very interesting, nor have newer Slayer albums. Don't confuse speed or shredding with talent or groudbreaking song writing. Being loud doesn't mean your better than anyone.
    zoomzoom
    dude...wtf are you talking about. MUSIC IS ANYTHIN MAN. Music is like a gift from the heavens and it can be anything you believe in, and its good to have a WIDE intrest in music. your like my baby cousin who never tries new food. jeez you and wangmaster are pissin me off >:|
    rattlehead999
    rattlehead999
    wangmaster wrote: David Gilmour sucks ass
    wangmaster wrote: oh yeah, and blank 182 make me what to stick my finger through my eye into my brain... ...and swirl it around!!!! man they piss me off bad. Im up for floyd classics like "Money"!
    um no offense but how bout you make up your mind mr wangmaster.
    deslni01
    ...You are an idiot. Then there has to be a problem with being to "emo", too "punk", too "hard core", too ANYTHING. As previously stated, you are an idiot. ::sigh:: I get sick of seeing kids who suffer from their mothers who drank while they were pregnant.
    mercedesisbenz
    stratocarious
    This album has some of the most brilliant guitar work I have ever heard. The entire production is as perfect as you can possible get. How ANYBODY who claims to appreciate any kind of music cannot love this album totally baffles me.
    maXterbat0r
    this sounds like a good album to get.i should get it sometime. also, everyone stop bickering.
    prsfloyd
    ^with a username like that you have no credibility talking about Pink Floyd or DG matters. Goodbye now
    8butler9
    This Album is Class. but not as good as Pink Floyd as a team, you cant have a pink floyd without Rick Wright and Nick Mason, as you would find Rick Sings on a lot of songs like ECHOES, any way Dave gilmour 1 of the greatest guitarist ever and Rogers Song writing Just to me makes the best band in the world. Shine On "SYD BARRETT" You Crazy Diamond
    Gong
    This album is great. It is David's way of showing the point of no return to the Pink Floyd, bringing his own style and ideas. Roger always sounded like the Pink Floyd after he left, but David is realy trying to do it on his own.
    Deff Kidd
    And saying that they would still kick the living sh*t out of any new band is the thruth as well. New bands are just a bunch of posers runing around like a bunch of pricks. For example sum41, Fall Out Boy, Etc
    Ledbetter13
    wangmaster wrote: no offence but shouldn't these guys give up? they had their day. I saw Dave and the rest at Live 8 and their getting old... ...really old.
    if pink floyd were in wheelchairs they'd still kick any new bands ass
    Run Duke
    This men,M.David Gilmour is able to create wonderful pieces of musical art beeing inspired by simple things in life like a walk with his wife and so on....He doesn't have nothing to prove, what he does ,he does it with his heart and soul.
    A7X_hyperfan
    mercedesisbenz wrote: You've basically just admitted to having the attention span of a gerbil. Good job.
    So what if I do?
    A7X_hyperfan
    rattlehead999 wrote: you cant say what music should be, you can say how you like your music. theres music that gets you pumped, theres music that calms you down. There is no problem with being too laid back, there is only a problem with you not seeing the big picture.
    You're right. I should've put "I think" in there somewhere. Apologies.
    zoomzoom
    crewdanny wrote: it's too bad that an international community of musicians can't put aside their egos and not argue and call each other names on a forum about the art they love. robert plant once said that for all of the love and peace that everyone was singing about in the 70's, there really wasn't much of either around. often, social movements start with or are fueled by art. take a moment to think about how you portray yourselves (not everyone) before you dive into an album review. i'll take clever, violent responses to parallel some lack of clarity in what i have written. have a nice day.
    props to ya bro
    Kalakala
    Agreed. Good post CD. As far as this album goes, I remember thinking the same thing as I did when I heard Gilmour's first solo album back in '78...whoa! Sounds like a new Pink Floyd album! Parts to make a whole...both Gilmour's and Water's work (as good as it is) are diminished somewhat without the collaboration of each other. In the end, it's what makes Pink Floyd the monument it is. Nevertheless, this is a very, very good offering by Gilmour. Absolutely wonderful stuff. Highly recommended!
    davidgilmourfan
    This is a very nice album! I am a major David Gilmour fan and I am very pleased with this album! Keep 'em coming Dave!
    wangmaster
    That may be but there comes a time in any and every rock legends life where U say enough is enough m8, I mean come on hes good and all but you've got to draw the line somewhere!
    .:LoCo:.
    A7X_hyperfan : BOOOOORING! wangmaster : David Gilmour sucks ass uhh....yeah you two obvisously have no taste in music what so ever! you probably like blonk 182 the bum boys band
    RJSadler1982
    fendergibson
    'Not all music has to be loud and untalented.' -zepplin 2212 Wise words, wise words. David Gilmour has got to be THE MAN at all of them amazing solos, and if you listen to Dark Side Of The Moon and go to sleep, it gives you dreams like you got shot with 5 different types of serious drugs. This one has almost the same effect.
    crewdanny
    ash_hetfield666
    Getting old doesnt mean giving up things u love now does it?
    wangmaster wrote: David Gilmour sucks ass
    GO F#%K YOURSELF WANGMASTER ps. you probably like suck your own wang for all we know
    Deff Kidd
    Wangmaster telling david gilmour to give up would be like telling a hot babe never to flash another guy. It's something that just dosent happen.
    RJSadler1982
    raftonmike wrote: RJSadler1982 wrote: Tops Dark Side Of The Moon?! Roger Waters solo albums are much better than Dave Gilmours (and the Floyd's after he left). Better go back to Musical Appreciation School my friend as by making statements like that you obviously have no clue
    I was referring to the reviewer who said that Gilmour's album tops Dark Side Of The Moon, because that's obviosuly rubbish. Dark Side is a timeless classic whereas this new Gilmour album is pretty routing stuff. As for Waters' solo stuff, yeah definitely its better than Gilmour's, at leats he actually writes the songs himself, Gilmour has to get his wife to write all the lyrics for him. Whilst Waters may not be the best singer at least he sings the songs like he means them, probably because he's singing HIS lyrics.
    raftonmike
    ChaosZeppelin21 wrote: This is a great album. I'm going to go see him in Chicago next Thursday. I just hope he is going to play Comfortably Numb.
    Yes he does in his encore
    ChaosZeppelin21
    raftonmike
    Reven
    If you enjoyed the more easy-listening parts of Pink Floyd's music (such as Echoes, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Great Gig in the Sky -- songs mostly from near the end of Roger Water's time in Floyd and into when Gilmour fronted the band) then you will likely enjoy this. You really get a sense of the album's title when you listen. I like how it also spans many genres. Listening through the first four you enjoy the classic Floyd signature, then all of a sudden (but in no way bad) you hit a jazzy-blues song in 'This Heaven'. Then towards the end of the album you start seeing more happy stuff similar to The Division Bell, and a sound never before heard from Gilmour. This is well worth the money, and you can listen to it anywhere.
    Maj_Tom
    Oh ya and about the dark side of the moon thing, he said in his opinion, not like it was set in stone.
    schecters1
    Although it is a good album i think it is a bit too laid back. Nothing against the chilled out style but i would have preferred some songs to have been a bit more lively. overall though it is a very good album. Dave Gilmour's guitar playing is most definitely still up to scratch!
    meyer914
    An album worth buying, but when compared to the great pink floyd albums, it doesn't add up.