On An Island review by David Gilmour

• Released: Mar 7, 2006
David Gilmour: On An Island

David Gilmour's new album should be in everyone's collection, especially if one is a Pink Floyd fan. The album sounds very much like another Pink Floyd album. This of course makes perfect sense, since Gilmour played such a huge role in shaping Pink Floyd's sound in the first place. The guitar work is what I bought the cd for, and I was not dissapointed. Gilmour's fender strat does wonders, and his tone is simply delicious. This album was recorded entirely at Gilmour's home studio on his own lake. The album reflects the same, as it is very peaceful. The album has a very big sound to it, especially the vocals. Most of the vocals are doubled with a touch of reverb, keeping that classic Pink Floyd style. There's nothing to complain about as far as the sound of the record goes. The cd sounds quite impressive.

The lyrics are quite peaceful, which reflects the music perfectly. The lyrics are rather deep in some ways, but beautifully simple in other parts. Gilmour's lyrics aren't about searching for answers or about getting something off his chest, but they instead reflect a fairly settled mind. Gilmour's vocal ability is quite good, as he probably could have fronted Pink Floyd himself. He emulates the voice of Pink Floyd's own Roger Waters very well.

This album compares well with pretty much any Pink Floyd album, both in style and in quality. However, this album is more sedate than any Pink Floyd album, and it leaves out any social commentary. The songs that will instantly stand out to any listener are the title track (On an Island), "The Blue," and "Where We Start." These songs resemble the best of any Pink Floyd song and have very nice guitar work as well. The thing that I love most on the album is the guitar work. It has such a sense of feel to it. Gilmour plays with a lot of feel for a white guy. The solo's are slow and full of feeling, and they compliment the songs perfectly. There's really nothing to hate about this album, unless you hate great guitar work. As for the stolen/lost question, the answer is yes, I would most definitely buy it again. The guitar work was worth the 13 bucks.