Life In Slow Motion review by David Gray

• Released: Sep 13, 2005
David Gray: Life In Slow Motion

I was very surprised to find that no-one had reviewed David Gray's music before. A superb singer/songwriter, Gray has earned great success in the UK. His third album, Life in Slow Motion, is a mellow, smooth and optimistic effort, with many nod-your-head tunes, but also a stark contrast from those in his ballads. Here's the tracks laid out one-by-one: 01. Alibi - a long introduction, followed by a saddening lyric sung well which gradually becomes happier and more upbeat until the end of the song. 02. The One I Love - the first single off this album is an enjoyable song, although at times can be a little too happy-clappy and over-joyous. 03. Lately - a complicated love song, one of Gray's trademark mellow numbers. Lovely. 04. Nos Da Cariad - probably the edgiest song on the album that starts off promisingly, and finishes with beautiful vocal harmony. 05. Slow Motion - arguably the best song on the album, a slow poetic song that is easy to understand and easy to relax to. 06. From Here You Can Almost See The Sea - very nice guitar riff, great vocals in the tag line of the song. Smooth. 07. Ain't No Love - again, nice piano, great lyrics, although not a huge fan of the chorus. 08. Hospital Food - comparably upbeat, this provides a break from the slow stuff. Very enjoyable for the first few listens, but will begin to annoy after the hundredth time. 09. Now And Always - strange intro (harmonica-esque, sounds like huge didgeridoo though), nice flow to the song, not one of my favourites though. 10. Disappearing World - a tuneful song with provocative lyrics. Slow piano, another of Gray's trademarks, features largely on this song also. Strange synth effect in second half of song.

David Gray has historically been strong in all aspects of singing and songwriting, including performing live, although his infamous nodding head maneouvre can be slightly disconcerting. His lyrics are normally very poetic, although they are normally of loves lost, or loves that could have been, or loves that couldn't have been, or loves that might have been had he not been writing another love song at the time. But they are very melodic, and they fit seamlessly with the music he writes. Every song is also very original, which helps to create that effect.

Definitely an improvement on the previous albums by Gray, he has done a great job on this album, and is worth every penny, cent, yen or denarii you happen to use if you heed my advice and at least give him a try. I would recommend Slow Motion as an introductory song. If it's too slow for you, you've got no chance. This is definitely a relaxing, mellow album that deserves your attention. Not one of my favourite albums of all time, but certainly on the good shelf of my CD collection.

Thom Yorke
    It is his 6th studio album I think you'll find. Better than White Ladder, not a chance
    PotGuy
    I have to say that I was disappointed with this album. I thought White Ladder was brilliant, and most of A New Day At Midnight was just as good. To me, this is just not memorable enough. There are a few nice ones, Lately is probably my favourite on there, but generally not anything like his best work.
    JASPERSMY
    Life In Slow Motion has to be the Best albums David Gray has produced to date, the songs ooze maturity in this work, the lyrics tell each story along with such catchy tunes. If you've ever liked a single David Gray song then you'll love at least a few if not all tracks. Alibi,From here you can almost see the sea and Slow Motion show the class and true Quality this album is backed up by the superb 'Hospital Food' and A'int no love, lately and haunting 'Disappearing World'. David Gray has come of age and set his name in stone for the British history of music, up there with the greats. 10/10