What Means Solid, Traveller? review by David Torn

• Released: Apr 15, 1996
David Torn: What Means Solid, Traveller?

You probably all know by now that my primary "post-post-modern" influences on the guitar, both acoustic and electric, are Vernon Reid, Alex Lifeson, The Edge (of U2), Andy Summers and, of course, Jimi Hendrix. But does anyone have any thoughts concerning the complete playing style of one David Torn? His "sick" compilation, "What Means Solid, Traveller?" completely transformed my technical perspective as it relates to what is technically possible on the instrument.

Neither have I gone through such an auditory metamorphosis, nor been thusly affected, since I first heard the albums "Electric Ladyland," "Permanent Waves," "Achtung Baby" and "Vivid."

Does anyone know his secret "psychological approach" to playing? What technical methods does he employ to achieve his sound? These questions, and others I want answered, may sound absurd to everyone here since you all may be on the cutting-edge of electric guitar wizardry, but I admit that I'm "out of the loop" and "stupified" by David Torn. How does he do it? Inquiring minds want to know! I can't believe I left out Al DiMeola, at all.