Origin Review

4.7
 5,054
review (1) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
Origin Reviewed by: vppark2, on april 21, 2015

Sound: I've said it once in a recent review, and I'll say it again, being technical doesn't automatically mean you're good. I love technical guitar players, from Tosin Abasi, to David Davidson, to JB Brubaker, but in the end, it's not all about the guitar player. Sure enough, guitar playing does in fact play a huge role in a band. I'm sure most valuable bands don't aim to become to next chug fest or the next Emmure, but whatever floats your boat, I guess. Dayseeker actually does a fairly good job in the guitar section. Sure, there aren't any guitar solos on this album but each song hits hard, and is extremely melodic. When I listen to these guys, I think of Memphis May Fire's earlier works. The drumming is solid, the uncleans are deadly, and the cleans are worked well throughout the album. // 9

Lyrics: Rory uses extremely careful words when he writes his lyrics. You won't find too many lyricists like him in this scene. If anything, Landon Tewers is another great example of a vocalist similar to Rory that is very good. The album begins with a headbanger, titled "The Nail in Our Coffin":

"Now learn to live inside the hell you embrace
No longer blissful in ignorance, my eyes are open wide, I see right through your lies
It's the nail in our coffin, it's the burning of bridges, it's the immeasurable hell, couldn't keep your hands to yourself."

"You don't have the backbone to face the one's you left for your dead" Rory yells out in "The Earth Will Turn," which also features a music video. I got the chills from it, not gonna lie. Now, one of my favorite songs on this entire album, lyrically, and structure wise, has got to be "Lucid Dreamer":

"God won't speak to me, made my plea's but he's not listening
I lie sleepless in bed reflecting on every lie I've been fed
What a world to be chained and bound to, I feel sorry for each saved soul who truly thinks they've found you."

The entire song starts out slow with singing and clean guitars, then about 1:36 in goes into screaming and distortion. Now... after reading those lyrics, you could probably already tell that Rory has lost his faith in God. The next track goes into more detail, and personally, I love it. However, it might offend some people. And this is where The Plot In You comparison comes in handy because on their last album, one of the lyrics on "Fiction Religion" is "My hope, and my faith let me down." In Dayseeker's "A God Without a Face" of course already sounds like a much deeper song, but here are some of the lyrics:

"God won't speak to me, I'm not sure he was ever listening
All those years asking for help but I was simply talking to myself
Not worthy of your grace, I'm done seeking out a god who won't show his face."

And last, but not least, "Never See the Sun Rise" is yet another song with some meaningful, heartfelt message:

"The more I'm trying to let go, the more that it's killing me
Why am I burying my child when I'm wishing it was me in that grave
I should not be burdened with this pain, it's not fair to us, I'm giving up
Oh I died inside when I knew she'll never see the sun rise."

All in all, you will notice the first few songs seem to have been a lot on topic with past relationships, while the later half is religion. Say what you will if you think these are generic topics, then fine, but Rory has a great way of writing. // 10

Overall Impression: If you compare these guys to other bands, just be aware that they're not the same. I only compared these guys to Memphis May Fire, and The Plot In You for just a few similarities. Overall, this album will be extremely difficult to top for me regarding this genre. But as some of you may know, there are at least a dozen of competitors, so they could get knocked down, but seriously, this album was so unexpected for me. I only know of these guys because a friend introduced them to me, and I DO NOT regret it. Rory's vocals, during soft moments, like in "Spotless Mind" will soothe you, while the uncleans on basically every other song on the album will tear you apart. The heartfelt lyrics, on top of the crisp sound of guitars should automatically bring you in for a treat. Personally, my number one favorite on the entire album is "A God Without a Face," but "Never See the Sun Rise" and "The Earth Will Turn" come in close as well. You be the judge, and listen for yourself, though. // 10

Comments