Jesus Freak review by dc Talk

• Released: Aug 1, 1995
dc Talk: Jesus Freak

'Jesus Freak' somewhat edges away from DC Talk's previous hip-hop/gospel sound, and redirects towards a pop/rock sound. As the title subtly suggests, DC Talk most certainly did not abandon their religious influence, and continued to define contemporary christian music. While the title song fuses psycadelic rock with a hip-hop base, other songs such as 'In The Light' and 'What If I Stumble' turn the band's genre on its head, with smooth acoustic-guitar pop sounds.

The album avoids all the preachy-cliches that many before had stumbbled into. The well crafted lyrics make referances to different walks of life encountered by both believers and those of secular orientation: 'Coloured People' celebrates racial diversity, whilst 'What Have We Become' takes an almost cynical look at the hypocracy that can be found within the church.

This album, in simple terms, is widley recognised to have redefined their branch of christian music. It also redefined the band's career, the bands sound, as is their best album to date. 'Jesus Freak' is proof to the secular market that Christian music, and in particular, DC Talk, are worth a listen.

MusicMan101
    Jesus Freak is a really unique song, I've never heard another song like it. The song also took away "Jesus Freak" as deragitory phrase
    AwesoMene$$
    This Album is definantly their best work. Jesus Freak, In the Light, Colored People, and What if I Stumble are Their best songs.