Wait For Evolution Review

8.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Wait For Evolution Reviewed by: vagelier, on november 26, 2009

Sound: De Staat has a very destinguished sound - a variety of badass stoner rock to surf. Torre Florim's exceptional vocal talents are exquisite on this record. With their bass-heavy song such as Sleep Tight and Meet the Devil, his low voice echoes through your CD player. De Staat have found a unique and sophisticated sound which doesn't bore at all. Their rhythmical percussion is very catchy. It's remarkable how much a woodblock adds to the songs. It's possibly the most simple instrument. Nonetheless, it increases the quality of the rhythm by colossal amounts. De Staat are original - it's something at least I had never heared of before. // 9

Lyrics: 01. Sleep Tight: interesting, catchy lyrics with good vocals about how we are programmed into life. 02. The Fantastic Journey Of THe Underground Man: the most catchy song on the album. It's logical that this is their most popular song. I'm not sure if the lyrics are simply about partying or sarcastic, telling people we are partying too much. great song anyway 03. I Am Here To Lose Control: again I'm not sure if this song is about people who are here symply to party (to lose control) or about the band feeling like they wanna lose control (party). 04. Wait for Evolution: probably sarcastic: wait for evolution. wait for the trouble to just go away. But it wont. 05. Habibi: about a man finding a dog on the streets, begging him to take the dog home. He doesn't. Pretty metaphorical. Very good lyrics here 06. We're Gonna Die: pretty straightforward - about we're gonna die. I'm not sure if it's about some kind of disaster or an illusion - maybe a suicide. This song is extremely good anyway. 07. My Blind Baby: of course, you cannot miss the love subject on an entire record. This song is about people who you're in love with although they hardly notice it (she's my blind baby she don't know it yet). He also wants to kill her lover (god damn the beast is lose/ he took my baby to his cave to seduce/ so hunt him, hunt him down / and take that, take that crown). 08. Kill The Man: about gold fever. Metaphorical, obviously. I think its about how everybodys trying to be famous now, and how people get jealous at other people who are famous, (I scare my self / 'cause I wanna kill the man) while in fact famous is probably the last thing you'd wanna be. 09. Meet the Devil: okay. This song is the most badass. Its lyrics are maybe even more down than We're GOnna Die (I'm going to hell tonight 2x / and meet the devil for a fight), it justs wanna make you headbang. 10. You'll Be The Leader: slightly more cheerful, a political song about democracy. are they against it (?) 11, 12. Taste it & Love It: these songs are the strangest of the album I like them nonetheless. Its hard to explain them, just listen to them yourself! // 7

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite records. This is in my list of best albums (The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Showbiz, Black Holes & Revelations, Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, and so on...) though less influential, it's definetely a CD you should have in your collection. Buy it now! You wont be disappointed! // 8

Comments