Purifying Consecrated Ground review by Dead Congregation

• Released: Jul 24, 2006
Dead Congregation: Purifying Consecrated Ground

I was shocked to hear music like this half way through this decade. Ignoring all current trends in the death metal scene, Dead Congregation, possibly possessed by the devil himself during this recording, throw up a 20 minute slab of some of the best death metal you will ever hear. Heavily influenced by bands like Incantation, Dead Congregation create heavy, crushing and fast old school death metal that is interchanged every now and again with doomy, slowed down passages all the while maintaining one of the most evil atmospheres that any death metal band has ever managed.

Everybody loves a non-gimmicky satanic death metal band (well, at least I do). Lyrically I would compare them to a band like Imprecation, Dominus (from Chile), or of course Incantation. They 'sing', obviously, about Satanism, war, and anti-Christianity in general. And they avoid gimmicks, jokes, attention-seeking, and all the other kind of 'Satanic' DM crap that Glen Benton popularised. As far as vocals go, Dead Congregation stick to the blend-in-with-the-bass deep as f--k gutturals, think, again Incantation, Immolation And Suffocation.

This is a definite must for fans of Incantation, Decrepit and Immolation among others. This EP along with a couple of others restored my faith in post-96 death metal and has only been topped by one or two releases before 96. Get your hands on this if you like death metal. It is a must.

boyan89
    MAN! Someone knows about Dead Congregation on this site! Thank you! Their friggin sweet