Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables review by Dead Kennedys

• Released: Sep 3, 1980
Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

This was the DK's first album, released in 79-80. The album is regarded to be not their best, due to tight production and lack of promotion. But I don't think the DK's care. Despite criticism, FFFRV has become a classic punk album and gave birth to what would later be hardcore. The back cover features the humorous cocktail band photo (they were later sued by one of the members of that band who recognized the photo). The whole album comes and goes in the blink of an eye and leaves you purely amazed.

Jello's lyrics are fiercely political, but also cynically funny. The song titles often stand out, with things like "I Kill Children" (which starts "God told me to skin you alive" lol) and "Funland at the Beach". Although it's more of a joke, I actually like their cover of "Viva Las Vegas", more than their cover of "Rawhide" (don't like it). Jello pulls off Elvis in a comical fashion. Though, I'm used to different lyrics in "California" and "Holiday". They always changed them live (or, in "California"s case, completely revamped them).

The songs that really stand out on the album are "Kill the Poor", "California Uber Alles", and of course, "Holiday in Cambodia". This album still has Ted on drums, and even 6025 on guitar for "Ill in the Head". The credits also extend to a myriad of people on backing vocals, keyboards, and even a "bar scene". My only beef with this album is the sound quality. "Holiday in Cambodia" lacks the clarity and double-tracks of the single version. I also thought "Too Drunk to F**k" and "Bleed for Me" would be on this (as additional tracks, but I confused this with the Give Me Convince album).

thewho65
    (to the guy who mentioned Ill in the Heads) Well, Ill in the Heads was written by 6025, and he didn't write songs the same way as Biafra. That's why he had left 6 months prior to this, but guest guitar-ed on the song.
    BlaiseTheSlayer
    When i first heard FFFRV, it was September 9, 2007. I had an electric moment and now, 3/4 of a year later, I am a twisted, punk mother****er. 10/10 Oh, and i hate Ill in the Head because the keyboard thing sticks in my head too much.