Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death review by Dead Kennedys

• Released: May 27, 1987
Dead Kennedys: Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death

Give Me Convenience is a collection of Dead Kennedys Early Singles, B-Sides and other rarities. As a result some of the songs aren't the best quality, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the songs themselves. The riffs are hard and fast. In addition to popular early singles like "Police Truck" and "Too Drunk Too F--k", it contains rare live performances of songs only performed once, and never seen again on any album. Like their surprise anti-New Wave song "Pull My Strings" and the improvised, bebop style "Night Of The Living Rednecks". The sound quality varies from song to song, but just about every song on the album is great and worth a listen.

The lyrics are about 90% politically fueled, quite often sarcastically done. Such as "Police Truck" which is an anti-police brutality song done through the eyes of a police force abusing it's power. This kind of style is used a lot, like in "Pull My Strings" where it is sung in the perspective of a music artist who sells out to the record company and only writes music for the money. No one is a better fit for this band than Jello Biafra. His rare, sarcastic voice allows for both humor and toughness to get through in each song. His vocals sometimes come off as just plain yelling like many punk rock artists out there, but it still works in some of these cases. Notably on songs like "Straight A's".

This is album is hard, fast and enjoyable. I can't put it down. Highlights include the original single versions of their hits "Holiday in Cambodia" and "California Uber Alles" as well as other greats either never released, like "Police Truck", "Insight", and "Pull My Strings". I find myself singing these songs over and over in my head and I just can't get enough of this band. While some are just random foolishness like "Buzzbomb from Passadena" and "Short Songs" most are great. This is my first Dead Kennedys album and I think it's a good starter, although their first album, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables may be a better starter. If you like the Dead Kennedys though, or just punk rock in general, this album is a must have.

jhooves
    wow jrosen138 , you must be quite the music critic. "It sucks" you say... Nice elaboration on why the music sucks. Next time you want to rip something for no reason, just shoot yourself instead. Thanks, and have a nice day.