Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust Inc. Review

artist: Dead Kennedys date: 12/01/2010 category: compact discs
Dead Kennedys: Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust Inc.
Released: 1988
Label: Alternative Tentacles
Genre: Rock
Styles: American Underground, Hardcore Punk, American Punk, Anarchist Punk
This two-fer reissue is an excellent way to dig deeper into the band's catalog.
 9.8
 9.9
 9.7
Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust Inc. Reviewed by: GuitaPlaya, on july 25, 2005

Sound: This CD is amazing. It's fast and loud like the first DK album. Although some songs are a little bit more poppy. Like "Moon Over Marin" (which is a great song). But obviously, the sound is still are no where near the crappy mainstream singers. Also some songs are even faster and harder than other DK albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are political like their other albums. They make great points are funny in a sarcastic way. Jello Biafra isn't exactly the best singer in the world. But they wouldn't be the DKs with out him. He's great and I love his style. // 10

Overall Impression: The Dead Kennedys are, in my opinion the best punk band ever and are very unique. If this CD were stolen a wouldn't buy it again 'cause I got all the songs my computer. But if not I'd rage and start a riot. The whole thing has 22 songs on it and I got it for ten bucks off iTunes. If you have ten bucks and like punk even the slightest bit, you should buy this CD. // 10

Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust Inc. Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 15, 2007

Sound: The most forgotten album of the Dead Kennedys. And in a way it's their best. I had trouble getting this album because I live in Wales, and people havn't really heard of this stuff. But finally when I got it, I was a pleased as punch. Take this job and shove it! Greeted my ears as soon as the CD began to turn. Wow! It's really strange listining to this album, it seems a bit weird. It's a whole new punk genre! It seriously sounds like they recorded the whole album in a cave. But that's what makes it so good. It's weirdly amazing. // 9

Lyrics: Jello's lyrics are as great as ever in this album. Even more true tales of woe, from the lyrics of 'Hop With The Jet Set' to 'Lie Detector', but also Jello's imagination is set loose on songs like 'Gone With My Wind' and 'One-Way Ticket To Pluto'. All in all, I would say the greatest piece of songwritting is this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Basically, if you are new to the Dead Kennedys, go out buy all the albums apart from this one. Save it until last and if you are a true fan you won't be disapointed, it's definately their peak. The most impressive song on the album has to be 'Chickenshit Conformist'. Why? Because how many other bands write songs that not only critise the music industry, but also critises themselves? Only one: Dead Kennedys. Close to 6 minutes of music that wouldn't sound to out of place with Jello's newest realeses. One thing I love about it, is the artwork. As always there is a booklet with some interesting artwork and the cover is absoulutely amazing. Music-wise though, what I love is it shows how crazy but talented Dead Kennedys were. I don't hate anything about it apart from that I bought it. What? you are probably thinking. Well my friends, I am ashamed that I bought the CD from the Dead Kennedys new line-up catalogue. They are rehashing CDs for profit. Completely dismissing their much respected stand against people at MTV and other power/money hungry corporate goons. Of course it still gets a ten since me buying it was nothing to do with the great sound from the CD. And no I wouldn't go out and buy it again, I don't want to give the Fake Kennedys anymore money. Since the songs are on my computer, I would burn the songs onto a new disc. // 10

Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust Inc. Reviewed by: Lancinator, on december 01, 2010

Sound: Very poliical and layered with sarcasm The Dead Kennedys released their third album Plastic Surgery Disasters in 1982 after the EP In God We Trust Inc. in 1981, however they were re-released together after the bands demise in '88 as a compilation album. The album sound is totally their own. Fast and witty with subtleties in effects and a distinct approach. East Bay Ray charges from catchy melodies to chords and usally vocal based soloing. As any "Punk" record should it got a feeling that may never be matched again. A BEATITUDE in the glory days punk! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are brilliant and edgy as usual. In this album the lyrics attacked small minded bigottry, Reagan, Religion, and ridiculed big businees, corporations, Medicine, educational institutions, and people who are droned into frustration and misery as employees. However, they manage an intelligable approach all the while. Music and lyrics flow very well and Jello and Kluas make quite a formidable singing duo. The bass, drums, guitar are constantly speeding up and slowing down, the lyrics discuss serious matters while pertaining a dramatic humor signature to lead singer Jello Biafra. // 10

Overall Impression: It definatly has independance amongst other artists and albums of their time such as Bad Brains(self-titled) and early Bad Religion(How Could Hell be any Worse?). All the songs are apply to what I have descripted, but here are a few of the 21 songs on the record; "Well Paid Scientist", "Nazi Punks F**kk Off", "Government Flu", "Religious Vomit" and a jazz sounding version of one of their older song titled "We've Gotta Bigger Problem Now". If you have'nt check it out. Citations- Deadkennedy.com Musicdirectory.com // 10

Comments