This Is The Warning review by Dead Letter Circus

• Released: May 14, 2010
Dead Letter Circus: This Is The Warning

"Delay-based guitar textures... Interlaced with subtle synth undercurrents, creating complex patterns out of a set of simple rhythms without cutting down on melody... Executed with a surgical precision that recalls the incarnation of Krautrock promoted by Maserati - while the sheer intensity brings to mind God Is An Astronaut more than My Chemical Romance." - Allmusic Dead Letter Circus are a four-piece Australian progressive/alternative rock band. "This Is The Warning" is their first album released on a major label. They have been on top of Australian rock charts and opened for many mainstream acts such as Linkin Park and Muse and less famous yet musically groundbreaking acts such as Animals As Leaders. Influenced by the likes of Pearl Jam, Tool, Deftones, Radiohead, Massive Attack and Nine Inch Nails, the band showcase their influence by incorporating explosive choruses, surreal lyrics, impressive drumming and well-placed electronic touches to their sound, heard all too well in "This Is The Warning". Songs like "Cage" and "This Long Hour" are clearly very electronic inspired. Although the band can be easily associated with other bands their sound remains very distinct and recognizable.

The lyrics are one of my favorite aspects on this album. They reach themes such as relationships in songs such as "One Step", surrealistic experiences in songs such as "The Drum" or personality changes in "Space On The Wall". The lyrics are timed and placed perfectly throughout the song and the vocal melodies match the music. The Vocalist Kim Benzie has a singing style similar to that of Ian Kenny (Karnivool) but Kim has a more melodic approach and a higher voice. I'm certainly a fan of Kim's singing and could not imagine any other vocal approach to this music.

The musicality of this album surprises me every time I've listened to it and it's far from new to me. I know pretty much every song by heart by now yet it doesn't bother me at all. The way these songs never bore me out remind me of the impact I've had from bands like Deftones or Animals As Leaders who I still listen to on an almost daily basis. Every time I turn this album on, even if it's moments after it just finished I still find myself mesmerized by the musicianship on the record. Songs on the record that stand out for me are "One Step", "Space On The Wall", "Big", "Cage", "The Drum", "Next In Line" and "This Is The Warning", yet the remaining few songs that I didn't mention are as far from bad as possible although the song "The Design" is my least favorite of the album, but it is a calmer song that, to me, seems a bit out of place on this record, but may be a nice feature on the album for someone who appreciates diversity in an album soundscape-wise. As far as I am concerned, this is a solid album that can easily be listened from start to end many, many times. To me, they sound very original and innovative and I would not be surprised if we see an increase in bands going for the same sound in the coming years.