Twilight Ritual review by Deadbird

Deadbird: Twilight Ritual

Deadbird is a doom metal band from Arkansas. They have an incredibly unique sound influenced by Isis and Neurosis. They play crushing sludge metal with amazing melodic vocals. The sound quality is messy and rough but only makes this album feel even more raw. While this album is primarily doom metal, they also have Feral Flame, a hardcore punk song and The Riverbed, a somber acoustic piece. The singer, Chuck Schaaf (Formerly of Rwake) has a very unique voice. His clean singing has great range and his harsher singing is instantly recognizable. While they use both singing styles on this album, this album is far from a typical metalcore album. The drummer, I might add, is very good as well. For 7-10 minutes he bashes away on his crash and snare and throws in some nifty, Mastodon-inspired fills.

Their lyrics are primarily about despair and hope. The lyrics are very confusing and mysterious and fit perfectly with the epic, doomy music. Not too sure if they are really amazing and clear though.

This album is a standout in the Souths doom metal scene. It has everything you could ever ask for- great, memorable riffs, haunting vocals, heaviness, acoustic parts, pounding drums and good lyrics. The songs I would most recommend listening to first are: 01. Rule Discordia - A straight-up rocker with somber vocals and heavy riffs. It starts out with a bluesy, three-chord riff and jumps right to the throat with the drum intro. The song ends beautifully with a harmonized vocal melody. It is one of the most amazing melodies I have ever heard and it cant get much better until the acoustic outro which ends the song in a very calm way. 02. The Riverbed. This song is soothing and relaxing. It is still very heavy however. Not much else I can say. 03. Death Of The Self. This song starts out with a nice, heavy bass riff and some pretty good harmonies. This time, Deadbird put the acoustic section in the middle. After listening to this whole album from start to finish, I can honestly say I am completely satisfied. My only quip would have to be that many of the songs sound the same. This album is absolutely amazing and worth every dollar and more. Deadbird is definitely a band to watch out for.

krvolok
    If you look at it from a distance,the southern-ish atmosphere is the main feature of the album.Up closer it kinda gets better but not that much so a 7 form me.
    Eclectic Lizard
    Ah that's alright. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. But I'd just like to point out that these guys have refined their sound quite a bit in only 3 years. Imagine what they may be doing in the future.
    robertito696
    Upon first listen i din;t like it much, I had been listening to different stuff so the dense mix caught me off guard. Going back to it recently though, Its a pretty amazing piece. Certainly something I'd recommend people check out. Weird to think I bought it on a whim just for the John Dyer Baizley artwork.