Album Title Goes Here review by Deadmau5

• Released: Sep 25, 2012
Deadmau5: Album Title Goes Here

So, let me start by saying that this is the only review by the EDM artist, Deadmau5 found on UG. I'm also gonna say that this is his SECOND album. The first one, "4X4=12" was released a while back (I don't remember the year, but I wanna say it's around 2008). Now, to the actual review. I am a really big fan of Deadmau5, as well as other EDM artists (Bassnectar, Excision, Krewella, etc). However, those artists focus on primarily dubstep with the filthy wobble and bass drops. There's not a lot of that when it come to Deadmau5. He generally produces straight dance music. Heavy bass, catchy leads, and the occasional vocals. This album features Gerard Way, former lead singer of My Chemical Romance (former as in the band is no longer together as of writing this), Cypress Hill, Imogen Heap, and Wolfgang Gartner. Each bring their own style to the album, whether it be Cypress Hill talking about their recreational drug use in the song "Failbait," Imogen Heap bring their lovely voice to talk about bad cell phone reception in the song, "TElemiscommunications," and Gerard Way just brings his new found dance style of singing to the song, "Professional Griefers." All pretty much have a upbeat dance feel to them, with the exception of "Closer" and "Sleepless" and "Telemiscommunications."

Now, with this being an album solely based on club music and bass, there's not really a whole lot of vocals on the track. But that ones that do have vocals, "Professional Griefers," "Failbait," "The Veldt," "Sleepless" (I'm only including this one because there are vocals, but they're pretty much done with a robot), and "Telemiscommunications," all have sound words and fit the song perfectly. Actually, let me take that back. "Professional Griefers" features just a bunch of random phrases such as: "Girls with guns on LSD" "I like the sound of the broken pieces" "Watch them build a friend just like you" Other then that, the lyrics fit the song perfectly, and it's just all around great to listen to.

Overall, if you want something to listen to at a party, play at a club, or are new to the EDM scene, I would strongly recommend this 80 minute album. I listen to it on a loop whenever I'm gaming or working out and it gives me that pumped up feeling I'm looking for. I also listen to some of the slower songs whenever I just need to chill. Is it different then "4X4=12"? HELL YES. "4X4=12" is more focused on the dance scene itself, but prior to releasing this, Deadmau5 had announced that with this album, it would show a new style that he would like to go with his music, a big track he hinted at was "Failbait." I wouldn't think of him to make rap beats, but hey. I'm not Deadmau5. I just use his music for inspiration in the music that I write.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

Gerard Way Jr
    Heh. Gotta say, as a casual listener of deadmau5 (guess why), this is his fifth or sixth studio release. Not second. I also think you missed the point entirely on some of the lyrics; your understanding of their depth (to whatever degree they possess it) doesn't seem very developed. All the phrases you mentioned had a context, primarily - as I understand it - dealing with materialism and the rapid decline of interpersonal values. "Watch them build a friend just like you" is especially telling, considering the development of technology over interpersonal relationships. ...there again, I've never once seen an unregistered review that went in depth very much.
    Skyvalve2012
    Yeah, it does feel like this guy needs to go in depth more. On the other hand, whoever did the review, THANK YOU for putting a deadmau5 album up here. I feel like people on here tend to give EDM alot of crap, but there's more to it than meets the eye. And Gerard, glad to see you are a supporter of the mau5.
    vppark2
    I wish he had done his research first. Anyways, this might possibly be my favorite album of his. There Might Be Coffee has such an amazing buildup to it. I feel like that would be the perfect club tune. And again, I love the diversity of this guy. It's not all about drum and bass drops. Needless to say, I did not care much about the collaborations.
    Skyvalve2012
    I actually thought Channel 42, Professional Greifers and The Veldt were pretty good.
    vppark2
    I liked Subliminal a lot too. Channel 42 is pretty good. Professional Greifers is fairly interesting. I love The Veldt. Did not care for the Cypress Hill collab.
    Skyvalve2012
    That's the only track I haven't listen to, the Cypress Hill one. My personal favorite is Fn Pig.
    vppark2
    Ah, yes. Fn Pig just might be my favorite. The Cypress Hill track is interesting I guess, just wasnt a fan of Cypress Hill in the mix.
    Gerard Way Jr
    Love Imogen Heap, but the way she was featured was pretty throwaway. The one done most tastefully, I thought, was Professional Grievers.