Birds & Cages review by Deas Vail

• Released: Jan 26, 2010
  • Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Deas Vail: Birds & Cages

Deas Vail is a piano rock band. Their name means "humble servant of God". Deas Vail is a lot like the bands Death Cab For Cutie and Mae. They make all elements of each song clear and easy to pick out, but everything blends together perfectly. Everyone I'v talked to agrees that it's impossible to be angry while listening to their album "Birds & Cages". All of the songs are really high-energy, intensified by the frequent use of bass and crash symbols.

Unlike some groups, Deas Vail doesn't just make words rhyme and put them to a melody. Many of their songs relate to specific events, but you don't need to know the backstory to understand the concepts and emotions they are trying to convey. They sing about finding love, losing it, reconciliation, looking for freedom, and changing the system. They music matches the mood, and always adds a hint of positivity and a sense of hope. The lead singer, Wes Baylock, has a killer falsetto voice that perfectly suits the mood of their music.

When I'm feeling mad or upset, Deas Vail is what I go to listen to. I'v never heard another band with such a feel-good sound. Personally, my favorite song from this album is "The Great Physician". The voice and piano music is really beautiful. If I ever lost my Deas Vail songs I would get them back in a hurry!

Dpullam
    After reading your review and listening to some previews on itunes, I was really digging what I was hearing so I bought the album without question and I love it. Thanks for introducing me to this band.