Human review by Death

• Released: Jan 1, 1991
Death: Human

"This is much more than a record to me; it's a statement, it revenge" - Chuck Schuldiner, Human linear notes. Following a betrayal by former bandmates Terry Butler and Bill Andrews, Chuck had something to prove. They had toured Europe as "Death" without him and continually insulted him in the press. Even after Chuck fired them, the two rejoined Massacre with ex-Death members Kam Lee and Rick Rozz, and continually insulted Chuck in the press saying Chuck was "washed up" etc etc. In response Chuck recruited a few friends and unleashed what would be the best death metal album of all time. For the album Chuck recruited Cynic guitarist/vocalist Paul Masvidal and Cynic drummer Sean Reinert. Rounding out the lineup was legendary Sadus bassist Steve DiGiorgio. Of course with such a talented lineup you are just bound to have a bad ass album right? Reinert's playing is truly incredible especially his double bass playing, great drumming can be found on every album track, showing that he would be Death's first virtuoso drummer. Masvidal ain't no slouch either his rhythm playing is solid and on the few chances he gets to solo he lets it rip; listen to his solo on Vacant Planets if you don't believe me. Unfortunately with this being an extreme metal album, the bass is pretty low in the mix, which is a shame because it's DiGiorgio playing. Ironically the only bass solo is actually played by Scott Carino, who would be Death's touring bassist (read in the linear notes it's says Carino contributed to the song). Finally we have "Evil" Chuck himself, playing guitar, handling vocals, and writing all the songs. On this album Chuck takes the band in a real progressive direction, using odd time signatures and technical playing. The production is raw, giving the album a great sound that I just love. The sound of those guitars and double bass speeding along sounds so heavy, max volume is defintley recomended when listening to this. The riffs are some of Death's heaviest ever, like the intro riff in "Together As One" or the riff in the chorus of "Lack of Comprehension." At the same time there are some great melodic moments like the one at about 1:40 of "Flattening of Emotions" or the "Together as One" solo. All in all this album sounds great, some seriously heavy riffs with the occasional melodic moment thrown in makes for a great sounding album.

On this album Chuck really starts to blossom as a lyricist. He focuses more on human emotions and feelings and actions, but fear not because this is not an album of love songs. In "Lack of Comprehension" Chuck attacks people who blame others for their own problems with lyrics like "An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within/Lies/Laying your guilt and pain/On people that had no part/in the molding of a life That creates its destruction/Lies." Chuck also talks about not taking life for granted in "See Through Dreams" with these lyrics "Close your eyes and imagine to be without/What we take for granted every time we open eyes." Something Chuck would know all to well about. Anyway this album is filled with great lyrics, the kind that make Chris Barnes and Glen Bentons' lyrics sound like the writings on a 15 year old who just got into death metal.

So did Chuck get his revenge with this album? Well if you consider making the greatest death metal album in history revenge than yeah he did. My only complaint is that Chuck didn't let Paul Masvidal and Steve DiGiogio show off enough on this album. As we all know DiGiorgio would really get to show his stuff off on the next Death album ITP, and soon Cynic would release an album called "Focus" on which Mavidal and Reinert would get to display their talent. Still this album would be the perfect combination of a great lineup, great song writing, and raw production that would make the album sound great, this album is a true landmark in death metal history.

Teufel
    pyritmann
    LOL TROLL
    Second Rate wrote: Radiohead have not the technical facility to play this kind of music.
    lol you have not the technical facility to use proper grammar
    The Black Salts
    Ash on fires
    pyritmann wrote: lol guys im pretty sure the fall out boy comment was a joke, holy cow. ive never heard this band but im sorry if i offend anyone that is the funniest name for a death metal band ive ever heard. oh man i burst out laughing when i saw that. the death metal band "DEATH" haha im so sorry, anyways they sound like they're a solid band though maybe i should check them out sometime.
    Yeah it took me a while to get past lol I don't blame you. They are now one of my favorite bands though.
    LOL TROLL
    The Black Salts wrote: Yeah he was joking about fall out boy, and I'm pretty sure troll was, too. That is unless, of course, he actually thinks it makes sense to compare progressive death metal and alternative rock, or that he sounds clever calling people metal fags. But I don't see how that's possible.
    im a troll u fool i ruin everybody's fun even if it makes no sense
    eljeffe
    Radiohead have not the technical facility to play this kind of music.
    Since you were responding to a troll, I only hope you're kidding. You may not like them, but you have to respect. Phil Selway's drumming on Airbag = godliness and Jonny Greenwood's soloes and riffs are mind-blowing.
    noahray
    i don't know about morbid angel, certainly up there though. who else writes songs about Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth? haha this is my favorite Death album. schuldiner, masvidal, reinert, digiorgio? ****, i don't know if it can get any better
    sambargun
    Death and Morbid Angel are best death metal bands ever. All the albums from this one onewards are perfect statements of Death Metal. RIP Chuck
    thegrungyhippie
    why are people comparing radiohead to death? its... impossible to do! just cool it and listen to this amazing album!
    sambargun
    I've listened to all the Death albums. Which is the best? Its impossible to pick from Human, ITP, Symbolic or TSOP. All are perfect.....
    LOL TROLL
    Teufel wrote: LOL TROLL wrote: slayer7666 wrote: yea dude seriously this stuff is shit listen to real music metalfags like radiohead lmao are you actually comparing death to radiohead? nice try. in terms of musical skill, yes i am, because its obvious whos more talented there, if i can palm mute a guitar, i can play metal also slayer is a horrific band as well Look at the name. "LOL TROLL." Don't bother wasting your time exchanging insults with it as it's obviously trolling.
    Lol u all got trolled so bad this man is a winner
    LOL TROLL
    mikea93 wrote: LOL TROLL wrote: tehjnest wrote: i personally thought fall out boys last album was better imo yea dude seriously this stuff is shit listen to real music metalfags like radiohead go eat your moms dick queer
    When u get out of ur basement and stop being a virgin that listens to shitty underground music i might consider it.Do you know why its called underground music? because only basement dwellers listen to it!
    Second Rate
    oi..... sorry for the double post there..... first one didn't show up after i posted it.
    Second Rate
    in terms of musical skill Death > Radiohead. Anyway. Human and Individual Thought Patterns are my favorite Death releases. It seems to me that Chuck sorta took a step backward on the final 2 albums.
    Second Rate
    Radiohead have not the technical facility to play this kind of music. Anyway..... Human and ITP are definitely my top picks as far as Death's material goes.
    col50
    This album is amazing. Its about time that someone makes a review of it
    ChrissyChiChi
    that1l)ude
    This is tied with my favorite album by Death along with individual thought patterns. always thought chuck should have let Madvisal play more leads. About time someone reviewed this album, but i wouldn't give anything a 10.
    AltarsOfMadness
    Along with Atheist the best death metal band ever for me =] This and Symbolic are definately my favourite from Deaths discography!
    FacEraser117
    ChrissyChiChi wrote: Fantastic album, i much prefer this style of death metal to the canibal corpse esque take on it. Easily the best death metal band ever in my opinion
    totally agree man!
    slayer7666
    lmao are you actually comparing death to radiohead? nice try.
    sindrel
    I've got a t-shirt off this album and it fckin blows! Death is amazing, my favourite band EVER.
    senorpepe
    tehjnest wrote: i personally thought fall out boys last album was better imo
    **ck off man, this album is amazing, you clearly dont know what you're talking about
    Valathalion
    tehjnest wrote: i personally thought fall out boys last album was better imo
    Thats not even funny man. Chuck is a legend and a pioneer and maybe you're arrogance hinders you from understanding how great he is. But keep your stupid remarks to yourself and allow the people who recognize his greatness to show him the respect he deserves R.I.P. Chuck
    Kornjack
    wat a ****ing album from the great pioneer of death metal chuck, i like this album, but my favourites would have to be symbolic and the sound of perserverance, crystal mountain =D
    Contraband
    This album is indeed incredible. Took me some time until I shifted to this album in terms of favourites. I used to think Symbolic was the best, then TSoP, then ITP, and now I see the true gem. The others are great too, but this has something special to it.
    mikea93
    go eat your moms dick queer