Individual Thought Patterns review by Death

• Released: Jun 22, 1993
Death: Individual Thought Patterns

The sound on this album is a little unclean but every bass and guitar note can be heard. DiGiorgio's fretless is a great thing to hear. Chuck's voice is incredible and fits perfectly with fast death metal. Truly greatness is showed in tracks like Trapped in a corner, Out of touch and the well known The Philosopher. What I like about these album is the technical side, odd tempos and very well pulled out solos, many of the harmonized and recorded flawless.

The lyrics reflect Chuck's life through past years, I mean having to deal with "blind" and narrow-minded people, or some like that. The lyrics and rythm flow nicely and he really knows when to use that long scream we all love. High-pitched vocals and impressive lyrics are a important thing on this record.

Definitely better than previous efforts but as technical as Human and Symbolic. This has to be the best Death record for truly deth metl fans. The most impressive tracks are The Philosopher, Trapped In A Corner, title track Individual Thought Patterns and Out Of Touch. Drums in this album are very sophisticated and not just a beat machine like Cannibal Corpse or modern death metal bands. What I hate about this album is that it's too damn short, but nevertheless brings in some of the finest metal songs ever written.

virtuosoman
    I agree this album is one of the best Death albums. Although, another one of the best songs on the album is Mentally Blind. Chuck's voice really changed since Spiritual Healing to a more "black metal" vocal style rather than a low death metal vocal style that was heard on Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy. What I really loved about this album was the topic of every song. The topics were relevant and relating to reality; contrary to ridiculous lyrics about gore and mutiliation. The songs on the album had really matured even since Human. This album completely altered the face of death metal. Chuck Shuldiner is a genius and I feel he doesn't get the credit he deserves. It's funny how Death's technical albums came out in the 1990's, a time in which metal was "dying" and grunge was rising, and yet, Pantera got all the credit for keeping metal "alive."
    Instrumetal
    TBH, I have this and Symbolic, but I seem to like Symbolic more, if only for the vocals...
    Fetusmasher
    It is truly my Fav. DEATH album.. The Break in trapped in a corner with the Fretless Bass is Kick ASS!!.. Although I love the Rage in Leprosy and Spiritual..