Individual Thought Patterns review by Death

• Released: Jun 22, 1993
Death: Individual Thought Patterns

Unlike most albums written by bands that are rooted in death metal this albums production is a bit lacking in bass - due to Steve Digiorgio playing high bass lines and the guitar tone being very trebly. The music is definitely Deaths most progressive album, sounding somewhat like Queensryche wrapped in death metal. It has Andy Larocque (from King Diamond) performing excellent solos on a few songs in the album, most notably Jealousy and Trapped in a corner which are also my two favourite songs. Also, this seems to be the only album I have ever heard where the worst tracks are the first (Overactive Imagination) and the track that shares its name with the album. They aren't bad, just not as good as the rest of the album.

The vocals are very clear unlike modern death metal bands. His lyrics are mostly about various types of people that Chuck dislikes - with songs like Jealousy, Out of Touch and The Philosopher being obvious examples. They fit perfectly with this moderately fast music, although they aren't the focus of the album.

It is probably my favourite Death album, my favourite songs being Jealousy, Trapped in a Corner and Mentally Blind - 2 of which feature absolutely superb solos from Andy. The biggest downfall is the lack of bass in the production - I can't turn it too loud without it starting to feel weird for my ears. I actually bought this album again after having one of my brothers friends steal the first copy I had - it's that good.

mjosephw52
    Death > Pantera > most 90's metal. Just bought the reissue of this album and I've listened to the original recording a few times. Loved the last two reissues as well as the Control Denied one. High expectations for this one.
    BlisteringDDj
    Why are you talking about Pantera, lol? :S Great album. Love everything made by Death. Impossible to decide which album is my favorite. Every album is great!
    SGofawesome
    Death is the best death metal band to exist. However, it's just stupid to say that Pantera didn't deserve any credit for keeping the metal alive in the 90's. They were the most commercially successful metal band in the 90's (besides Metallica and Iron Maiden) and still were uncompromising and brutally heavy. Death was uncompromising, brutal, and innovative like Pantera as well, but they were never commercially acceptable. Just because Death is "better" doesn't mean they are more accessible and healthy for the popularity of metal. No hate against Death, they did no wrong. Pantera was obviously way more important to metal than Death was though.