Scream Bloody Gore review by Death

• Released: Jan 1, 1987
Death: Scream Bloody Gore

To me this amazing album, Death's Debut album from '87, is pure thrash metal, the only thing seperating it from the rest is the vocals. On the beginning of the first track, Infernal Death, Chuck rips some high notes, and goes higher later on the CD, I love his vocals. The production wasn't quite up to par with the later Death Releases, but this was made on a budget and this kind of music is very hard to produce and get a sound that satisfies everybody. Yet it is my favorite Death album, the overall speed, grind, and gore just do it for me. Also, for 1987 there's some pretty ornate riffs on here. Compared to other band's first albums it is amazingly tight throughout.

Chuck Schuldiner's singing skills are amazing, but I think the lyrics are pretty bland. But it seems to me that the music always perfectly fits the theme of the lyrics. They're simple lyrics but they are timeless headbangers. They are probably the earliest gore-esque lyrics I can think of by an American band.

You can definantly pick out the influences on this album. Venom, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Sacrifice, Possessed, Exodus, Megadeth. This album is still a monumental landmark in the history of death metal though. Bands like Cannibal Corpse and Cradle of Filth probably wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for this album.

valdean
    The "Massacred, hacked to death" part is from Mutilation, not Infernal Death.
    brentondig
    Solid Death album. I enjoy every gory bit of the album, from start to finish. Pure brutality. "EVIIIIIL DEAD!!!"
    Smithsc
    great album! i really enjoy Chuck's use of evil harmonies in this album and every other Death album!!
    Borellus_
    these reviews are very unprofessional, but at least the ratings are right
    anthrax1214
    Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy are my favorite albums. I'm not one for "progression" in metal, but Death is an exception! I love all of their albums! WHY DO THE GOOD DIE YOUNG?!?!?!
    AleThrasher
    Actually, some people think that Zombie Ritual lyrics are about drugs. I believe that too