Sound Of Perseverance review by Death

• Released: Sep 15, 1998
Death: Sound Of Perseverance

The sound quality of this album is much better then Chuck's older albums, it is also louder which is very pleasent. When Chuck decided to sign with nuclear blast it was a very smart move and producing with the help of Jim Morris was certainly not a stupid move either. The guitar riffs on this album are not only catchy and full of emotion but they're very skillful. Songs like Bite The Pain have amazing guitar fill-ins. The harmonized solos are insane and Shannon Hamm which is not as well known as Chuck is as skilled as him if not more, his solos like the one in A Moment Of Clarity with the pick sweeping is just unbelievable. And the drums by Richard Christy, they're technical and amazing probably his best work yet.

Chuck is a great singer and the change of vocals on this album, now more high pitch, are great. I love them. The occasional voice effects are magnificent, they're just like the cherry on your ice cream sunday. Well, I love the lyrics, typically the lyrics are about death, if they weren't about death, the type of music wouldn't be death metal. Hucks' lyrics r always very spiritual. They go perfect with the music he has created. I don't know how he could make them better.

There is no album like it. My friend had burnt me a cd with a couple songs from this album on it. After listening for 20seconds I knew I was going to buy it. My personal favorite tracks are Scavenger Of Human Sorrow, Flesh And The Power It Holds and To Forgive Is To Suffer. I love everything about this album except for the Priest cover Painkiller, although this cover is very good, drums are better, solos are better, the vocals are just not the way I like them, He should have made them like the rest of the vocals on this album. On this album I especially love the poem at the end of the booklet by Frederick W. Nietzche and I quote: "Whoever fights monsters, Should see to it that, In the process he does not, Become a monster. And when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you." If this album were stolen I would hunt down and kill who ever stole it myself. If it were lost, it would be found. Nothing can replace this album.