Sound Of Perseverance review by Death

• Released: Sep 15, 1998
Death: Sound Of Perseverance

Death as I've said time and time again is an extraordinary band with their own unique sound that seems to have launched them into success. I got this CD on my 15th birthday, and it's one of my favorites to this day. Death has always used scorching riffs and solos where Chuck's fingers seem to dance upon the fretboard. This album is no different. This album probably has one of the best sound qualities I've ever heard on a metal CD.

The lyrics, like on every Death CD, have a lot of deep meaning to them. They aren't just gory death metal lyrics. Every song has its own meaning and they all convey an idea of their own very, very well: 01. Scavenger Of Human Sorrow: how fast the Human life ends. 02. Bite The Pain: don't ever let someone stop you from accomplishing your dreams 03. Spirit Crusher: human emotions are easily broken. 04. Story To Tell: everyone has their own side of the conflict. Listen to it. 05. Flesh And The Power It Holds: how being human can be both positive and negative 06. Voice Of The Soul: is the most beautiful instrumental. Give everyone a chance to speak their side of the story 07. To Forgive Is To Suffer: don't forgive easily, people will always hurt you over and over. 08. A Moment Of Clarity: well all need a moment to just sit down and relax. It's true 09. Painkiller: THIS IS A RIDICULOUS COVER OF JUDAS PRIEST'S HIT PAINKILLER. Chuck really shows his vocal skills in this metal masterpiece.

This one comes close to being Death's best album in my opinion. Personally I think human was their best. However, it's still an amazing album by the death metal innovator, Chuck Schuldiner and probably the best lineup Death has ever had. Richard Christy abusing the crap out of the drums, a guitarist that's actually close to Chuck's level of playing, Shannon Hamm. And bassist Scott Clendenin. Impressive lineup, impressive album. All you could ask for. I love everything about this album, except for one thing. Like everything in life, this album has its flaws. The timing for this album is kind of weird, and I understand that's death's signature playing skill, but it can get weird at times. Overall, this album is extremely good, I adore it.

bassistofdeath
    I've been a fan of metal for more than 15+ years. I only heard this album for the first time last week and it is without a doubt the best metal album I have ever listened to. A true masterpiece.
    pinhead16
    r.i.p the godfather of death metal!!!!! the sound of perseverance is an awesome album.....flesh and the power it holds is exciting to play lots of riffs,kinda confusing well to me any but sounds great