Symbolic review by Death

• Released: Mar 21, 1995
Death: Symbolic

This Death biggest selling album and moves away even more from death metal into more progressive territory. The riffs rang from slow heavy chugging to blistering thrash with some very beatiful and melodic clean parts thrown in every now and then. The drumming is very technical, lot of very fast cymbal/double bass work that sounds amazing. The bass seems to follow the guitar but it does its job. The solo's range from melodic to high speed shreeding along with some harmonies. The solo's fit the songs very well and even manage to send a chill down your spine on a few stracks. The song all have something very deferent about them giving them all very distinct character.

The lyrics aren't about gore and disembowlement anymore they are more philosophicle. Gore or not, the vocals sound amazing. Chuck Schuldiner manages to have pretty damn good death metal vocals while still articulating the lyrics very cleary and having distinct melody. The lyrics along with the vocals delivery fit the mood of the songs very well and add very much to the melody on this album that hasb't been seen in other Death Albums.

This is the first Death death metal album I; ve ever heard, and my god I freggin love it. It's a great place to get started with death metal because it's heavy as hell but still isn't too brutal. I really love the clean riffs that are thrown into the songs, the harmonies and the lead is general, no wanking, all soul. My only critisism is I think that maybe some clean vocals could have been added in, but then it wouldn't be death/progressive metal would it? My favourite songs on this album are "Crystal Mountain", "1,000 Eyes" and "Zero Tolerence" although there is not any song I dislike. This is a perfect way to introduce yourself into the world of death metal.

SOUTHofHEAVEN89
    DEATH IS A FUCKIN GREAT BAND... CHUCKS DEATH DATE IS THE 13TH OF THIS MONTH..."DEC" CHUCK MADE A HUGE IMPACT ON METAL AND STILL DOES TO THIS DAY... R.I.P CHUCK!!!
    Lambda
    there is not one song that is not absolutely amazing on this album. 'Perennial Quest' is some of the most incredible metal one wishes to ever hear
    Smithsc
    This album proves that Death could still be heavy as f*** and still have great material. It would be hard to come up witha follw-up to The Soud of Perserverance, but they did. Crystal Mountain and A Moment of Clarity are probaly Death's best songs.
    Smithsc
    This album proves that Death could still be heavy as f*** and still have great material. It would be hard to come up with a follw-up to The Sound of Perserverance, but they did. Crystal Mountain and A Moment of Clarity are probaly Death's best songs.