Plans review by Death Cab for Cutie

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Death Cab for Cutie: Plans

Death Cab For Cutie did a decent job with their album plans. From the first song to the last it is not too far from their usual sound, but at the same time, not too much alike. The album opens up with 'Marching Bands Of Manhattan', a great song, then 'Soul Meets Body' following. All of the songs on the album are very well put together, it feels like DCFC really spent alot of time tweaking this album. The song 'I Will Follow You Into The Dark' is also a very good song, reminiscent of 'Lack Of Color' from Transatlanticism, the only instrument used is the guitar and it works perfectly with the mood and the message being conveyed.

The lyrics on Plans are very well though out, they accompany the instrumentals very well and add to an overall picture. Plans keeps Death Cab's unique sound, but also renovates it in the process. The lyrics tell you a story, without you knowing it. The lyrics create a picture by using imagery. Overall the effect is very descriptive, and executed fairly well.

This album is a good album, but unfortunately, nothing more. When you listen to the last sond you feel like something is missing. Plans is good, but not as good as it could have been. However, this album is better than 'We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes', but it doesn't quite match up with Transatlanticism. In Transatlanticism, the switch between song is seamless and works very well. Plans is still a very good album, I highly recommend it, but if you are a fan of Death Cab, and you don't have Transatlanticism, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

glugger
    [quote][/quotThe jump from indie label to major label is, usually, a huge problem for bands like Death Cab. Most artists go downhill when they get signed to a major label, but Death Cab didn't let that happen. They didn't compromise their sound and become more "radio friendly." No one has pulled off the jump to major label like Death Cab for Cutie has, and it will be interesting to see what else they can produce from here on out. Top tracks: Crooked Teeth, What Sarah Said, Brothers On A Hotel Bed. Worst tracks: Stable Soe][quote][/qu ote][quote][/qu ote][quote][/qu ote][quote][/qu ote][quote][/qu ote][quote][/qu ote][quote][/qu ote][quote][/qu ote]
    hendrixfreak93
    what an amazing album. i love how a lot of the songs segue into each other (marching bands of manhattan into soul meets body, summer skin into different names for the same thing, etc.)
    stumaster18
    Way too mainstream. But still amazing. I went to their concert in Toronto on Saturday, and people were only singing along to songs from this CD, and NONE of their old ones.
    p0mt3
    Co&Ca11
    p0mt3 wrote: @ letsXlove: 'more darker'? See, this is why I'm weary of giving bands like this a chance, because the bands' fans seem to not have any real clue of what their talking about. I'm sorry, but posting an intelligent, coherent review is key in persuading folks to try out the album, pal.
    It's still a damn good album, even if it isn't their best.
    MT_Obsidian
    This album is a hands-down masterpiece. I have listened to it for a couple years now and just bought it on vinyl last week. It's worth it.