Transatlanticism review by Death Cab for Cutie

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
Death Cab for Cutie: Transatlanticism

Well it starts off with "The New Year" and the sound is very vast and has some serious reverb. The tone of the music goes up and down throughout the album. They have some serious musical skill going on all through every song. The music can be depressing and elating at the same time, it's an abstract medium.

The lyrics were great but each song needs explanation. 01. The New Year - this song is a great starter, probably the best album starter I have ever heard. It's very open ended and leaves room for many qestions. 02. Lightness - the lyrics in "Lightness" tie in with "The New Year" very well. There was good coherence between the music and the lyrics as well. 03. Title And Registration - this was the first song I heard before I bought the CD. It's very confusing alone. But overall its a great song with beautiful lyrics. 04. Expo '86 - this song is pure genius. Ben's voice in this song is great. The way he sings and the way the lyrics are written, in addition to the sound. The song was great. 05. The Sound Of Settling - this is the happiest song on the CD. The lyrics are great; beginning to end, and the music just flowed so well with vocals. 06. Tiny Vessels - very miserable tone. The lyrics appear very sad, but the meaning, to me; shines through more than the tone. Its more of a letting go effect, rather than a whiney ballad. Great chorus. Great vocal skills. 5 stars. 07. Transatlanticism - of course, it all comes down to this song. This song's lyrics are beyond climax, they ae also beyond tragic. I did not like the ending though. I thought I couldve done without the "c'mon's"... but looking past that; the song is great. I suppose the reason why the song's lyrics had so much of an extra appeal was because it wasnt over. Extreme "concept record" aspect. The lyrics mean so much to me. 08. Passenger Seat - This is by far my favorite song off of Transatlanticism. Its sound, lyrics, and emotion is just superb. Completely perect. Wouldnt change anything. 09. Death Of An Interior Decorator - the one thing that I love so much about this song is that the music and the lyrics are so great. The mood strays so far from the recent tragedy... especially when Ben sings "Tell me why you were so sad?" 10. We Looked Like Giants - my overall impression of the lyrics to this one was racy and obviously "so far so good, its almost over" I'd have to say the vocal skills were the best in this song. 11. A Lack Of Color - the lyrics of this song make me think of two people just struggling to stay together, and after all they've been through, they just feel as if its not getting any better. Its a perfect end. It might not have been the happiest ending. But the lyrics ended Transatlaticism beautifully.

I'd have to say that this album is most similar to TBS's "Tell All Your Friends" mostly because of the entire "Once Upon A Time..." and "The End" concept. "Tell All Your Friends" (another highly recommended CD) began with this racy complaint of how he was falling in love again, then ends with how he doesn't want to even talk to who he once loved anymore. Transatlanticism has a perfect beginning (The New Year) and the perfect title to prove it. Then, the ending, although depressing, closes the CD extremely well. Every song on this entire CD was impressive. I love the lyrics, I fell in love with every word the first day I bought this CD. And if this Cd was lost or stolen I'd buy it again! I don't go a day without listening to at least two songs from this CD and if I have time I usually listen to the whole thing. If you're a DCFC fan and haven't bought this CD; it's time to go shopping. Or, even if you're not a DCFC fan; I still recommend this CD.

CoLDFiRE73
    Transatlantisicsm is way better than Plans in my opinion. The title track is also great with the few guitar chords coming in with the distortion
    RaRaRiot
    This is my favorite album in my opinion, and from what other people seem to be saying, it's theirs too. It's really depressing but it's so good. And I definately wouldn't say they're emo-pop. If anything, they're Indie.