Youre A Woman, I'm A Machine review by Death From Above 1979

• Released: Oct 26, 2004
Death From Above 1979: Youre A Woman, I'm A Machine

The sound is absolutly stunning. They have really defined their own sound. With only 2 members (bass: Jess Keeler, drums/vocals: Sebastien Grainger) they still have more depth in their sound than a 5 piece band or maybe even more. They bass synth is truly unique. I have yet to hear any other band pull off anything like this. Plus, Jess is an amazing bassist. I want to see someone pull of the bass on "Going Steady" and make it sound as good as he does. I'm sure someone can. But, it would be hard as hell. On some songs the bass is so over the top it sounds much like a normal electric guitar (You're A Woman, I'm A Machine, Blood On Our Hands, ect). You can never predict what the next song will sound like. You will just know it will have an impulse dance feel to it and some really unique bass lines.

The lyrics are pretty shallow on most of the songs. But, it's not really about lyrics with them. It's about the texture of the music and how it all comes together. Sebastian sings every lyric quite well I must say though. And it must be tough playing drums and singing at the same time. Most of the songs have oddly sexual lyrics. I like them. They just are as deep as say Bowie or something of that sort.

Overall, Their unique sound and amazing textures are really beyond what any other two-piece band has been able to even dream of. This album completely blows the Dresden Dolls away in ever aspect besides lyrics. They make The White Stripes look like simple pre-school rock. Anyways, I like every single song on the album. But, "Going Steady," "Go Home, Get Down," "Blood On Our Hands," "You're A Woman, I'm A Machine" stood out the most. Overall, this gets a well deserved 5 out of 5.