Youre A Woman, I'm A Machine review by Death From Above 1979

• Released: Oct 26, 2004
Death From Above 1979: Youre A Woman, I'm A Machine

I'd to start off with saying that this is one of the most energetic albums you'll probably ever listen to. The sound is band shows is very clear. Death From Above 1979 uses bass as a lead guitar, and this does not sound muffled, yet protudes a great, clear, and unique sound. On to the music itself. There is not one song on this album I do not like to listen to. Songs such as Pull Out, and Turn It Out keep you on your toes, waiting for more. Others such as Sexy Girl and Black History Month bring the tempo down a bit but still allow for some moving music. And then you have the rest of the CD. Romantic Rights, Going Steady, Go Home Get Down will most definately keep you wanting to listen with very unique bass playing techniques and sounds. There are a couple downfalls to this CD in my opinion. The songs Little Girl and Cold War degrade it. Little Girl has no pattern I find and just is random. Cold War, well, I think this song is very cliche. People may not agree with me but I believe it is. The band, only having a bass player and a drumist, produce tremendous sound and some of the greatest indie music available.

The lyrics this band presents in You're A Woman I'm A Machine are good. Although the singing does sound the same. The main thing that attracts me to the music is how the lyrics match the beat and tempo of the song. And it does so very well. Going Steady is a perfect example of my point. Overall, I don't think the lyrics are bad at all. At times they do begin to become repetitive but it shouldn't become a problem. An example of this could be the song Pull Out but it isn't that bad. The best lyrics shown on this CD are in Go Home Get Down. They are very varied and really make me want to listen to the song. I don't think the lyrics are amazing and there is certainly room for improvement. As for the singer, he isn't bad. The whole CD kind of sounds the same. Not much range is presented in his voice but enough to make his singing enjoyable.

Firstly, I have to recommend this album. I saw this CD at HMV and had never heard of the band before. But it was cheap so I decided to pick it up. Trust me it isn't a waste. If you like any type of rock, indie, or anything like that, Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman I'm A Machine will sink deep into your heart. In my honest opinion, the best songs on the album are: Pull Out, Blood On Our Hands, Romantic Rights, and You're A Woman I'm A Machine. What I love most about the album is the fact that they made. I hate that some of the songs sound they same after you listen to them for a long time. Also at first I had some problems guessing which song was playing because they sound kind of the same. I would definately re-purchase this CD if I lost it, no doubt. My final words of advice: buy the CD. Despite its few flaws, you will not be disappointed.

RainbowBassist
    DFA 1979 has amazing bass gtr. theyre one of the first to use distortion. i agree, the lyrics arent that great, but the instrumentation ameks up for it. turn it out, little girl, and sexy results are the best sogns, in my opinion. im a bass player, and i have no life. those songs are fun to play, that's why DD
    Guitaroooo_Man
    Fucking brilliant band. Jesse wasnt one of the first to use distortion at tho. Bands in the 80's were doing it and in the 90's. They're brilliant tho. I love them. Sexy Results and You're a Woman, I'm a machine are my favourite songs. The drumming is brilliant concidering the guy sings while playing it. Jesse Keeler is one hell of a bassist, hes playing bass on the new QOTSA album... BRILLIANT!!! Brilliant band, 10/10