Youre A Woman, I'm A Machine review by Death From Above 1979

• Released: Oct 26, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Death From Above 1979: Youre A Woman, I'm A Machine

This is a very electronic album and I find that it is best if enjoyed through headphones, with the bass really high. This way, especially if you are like me and are learning to play bass, you can really hear all of Jesse Keeler's bass techniques. Through headphones is actually the best way to hear the album the way it was meant to be heard.

Some of the song lyrics were seriously hard to understand, but I feel that this was done because the lyrics were meant to be heard, for the most part anyway, as if they were another instrument, to compliment the sound rather than the feeling. Most of the albums lyrics were about sex though, which isnt bad but I feel they could have easily written something more political without much effort.

Youre a woman I'm a machine is an album which, I will say, is one I would play if I want to do some serious rave type dancing, or if I was partying with some friends. the best song as far as I'm concerned is Going Steady (track03) just because it it's fast and loud and catchy. I love DFA1979, I hope you do too. I reccomend at least checking it out, and if you like it and have an ipod, subscribe to the drum and bass arena podcast. DAF1979 isn't in it, but it will give you a better understanding of drum and bass music, and will make appreciate DFA1979 even more.

OneillforReal
    I'm gonna miss these guys for sure, two very talented individuals. I saw live footage of these guys, and at one point, Jesse Keeler was playing bass one handed using rapid hammer-ons, while singing through a synth-type talk box thing. Very cool.
    Fozzie3000
    He is an awesome bass player, ironically he says he never cared much for bass, he just felt sorry for amps! Hence he brought hundreds and chained them together which is how he gets that awesome bass tone (originally thats how anyways). Good album, would definately rebuy it if i lost it.
    dall29
    i seen them when they came with NIN and QOTSA to edmonton i think i was the only one on the floor that new any of thier songs...k there might of been a little more but i wish these guys made more music darn shame wat happened
    Daysleeper_05
    Mudvayne_LP wrote: great band. its a damn shame they broke up
    Fast forward four years. They're back in it! I just hope the magic is still there!
    noisewall11
    definatly disagree with that one guy. "little girl" is awesome. and cold war's weird riffs are sick. these are decent songs people
    noisewall11
    RainbowBassist wrote: DFA 1979 has amazing bass gtr. theyre one of the first to use distortion. i agree, the lyrics arent that great, but the instrumentation ameks up for it. turn it out, little girl, and sexy results are the best sogns, in my opinion. im a bass player, and i have no life. those songs are fun to play, that's why DD
    btw distortion on bass has been used since the 60's. =]
    SFosterS
    DFA FOR LIFE! Saw them live and actually went ****ing nuts. This bans NEEDS to be seen live