Night Electric Night review by Deathstars

• Released: Jan 30, 2009
Deathstars: Night Electric Night

Well, this is the Deathstars 3rd album, and their sound is still the signature Deathstars sound, yet it has progressed, more refined, thought-out structure. Not to mention heavier riffs, with the light almost haunting keys. The band is heavily into a gothic scene, but also combines a glam rock atmosphere to their image and sound. According to them, they belong in a genre identified as "death glam." It's industrial, mixed with goth, and some techno influences, yet still has enough awesome guitar riffs to keep you entertained.

The lyrics overall are decent. Sometimes, I wished they would have solidified a topic in each song, instead of jumping through a couple in one song, but overall, they are still decent lyrics. The delivery is standard Deathstars, and is still an amazing delivery between, lighter rasping screams, and a booming low registered singing voice. The singer, Whiplasher Bernadotte, has an amazing vocal range in reality, though, by only listening to a couple of songs, many wouldn't be able to tell, as he doesn't always push to reach both ends of his range. But his style and approach work extremely well for the band, and have helped set them apart from other bands.

This album is a sure and solid progression from "Synthetic Generation" and "Termination Bliss." Though it still will sound the same to a lot of people, there is a progression of sorts. Some of the most impressive songs on this album are: "Night Electric Night" "Mark of the Gun" "Arclight" and "Opium." I love the sound of this album. It has been described as heavy and meaty, yet light and fluffy too, which is without a doubt, true. The guitar riffs are heavy and the voice is booming and haunting, while the keys at an atmosphere which seems to contrast the dark riffs, but rather, in the end, enhance them. I ordered the Gold Edition of the album, and I would definitely buy this one again, if it was lost.

decayingdave
    Synthetic generation had a few decent tracks, but as a whole the album was boring, even as background music - Whereas termination bliss was stupid, too many pianos and songs about ex-girlfriends. I've been to see these guys before and I'm going to see 'em again in a month, they're great on stage and they sure as hell know how to get the crowd going. Still, I think because of termination bliss, people have lost interest in 'em a bit and seeing as I hadn't even heard of this new album 'til now, I think it's about time they get their act together.
    Rukasu Rindu
    Hmm.. This album was very good according to me, not as good as the first two, but very good indeed.
    Spreedmaster
    Pretty similar to synthetic generation but thats a good thing IMO. But you gave it the usual UG overly high rating tho, which I cant agree with because the guitar playing on this album is ridiculously basic.
    mortengh
    how come every album review for every artist has 9 or 10 rating... objective reviews or insightful reviews for that matter does not exist at ultimate-guitar
    matosh.lee
    yeah. when you know that the UG comment rating is higher than the review rating. than it is porbably good. unless it got a review that gave it a 2 and got a 4 by UG
    Drool_Mouse
    For all the people who think I rated this one too high... well, 1.) I bought it, and therefore have it... do you? You can't judge this album just by looking at it. 2.) yes, I mean if I could go back, I might have reconsidered and given it a bit lower, but it is still a good album. I can't just tear down a band and album that I really enjoy, but I do feel as though I was like one of those kids who just only has good things to say about it. It's not perfect by any means, but it is enjoyable, and worth buying for me at least. 3.) Yes the guitar work is extremely basic, but that doesn't mean the music isn't good. Simple can still be good, look at the main riff to "Rock You Like A Hurricane." Simple, but still a decent riff.
    Buffy-willow
    I liked this review - I agree with pretty much everything you said! I saw them live a few weeks ago, and WOW, they're a fantastic live band! I do love this album - definitely my favourite Deathstars CD so far
    Metalic Demon
    im not usre about this albumb, it starts of quite good; nice and heavy. then it starts to spiral into a boring pile of notes, spewed out of the mouth of some emotionless f/uckhead. i dont really like this albumb, it doesnt even compare with their last album, which had the right combination of super heavy guitar riffs, piano and synth to keep me listening for hours at a time before listening to something differant. so if your planning to buy this album, heed my advice and save your money for something much better! 4/10