Termination Bliss Review

Deathstars: Termination Bliss
Release Date: Jan 31, 2006
Label: Nuclear Blast
Genres: Rock
Deathstars' Termination Bliss takes the renaissance of the leatherswept members into the artificial heart of their European culture.
 8.8
 8.5
Termination Bliss Reviewed by: rabidguitarist, on september 01, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is massive. The riffs are really heavy; there is tons of catchy synth lines and strings; and the huge growling bass of whiplashers voice. The music is industrial, and is remeniscent of such artists and rammstein and marilyn manson, but is still very original. Nightmare anatomies makes amazing use of guitar and techonology which makes each song as complex as the next. Overall, the sound is amazing and can really fill a room. I can find no problems with the sound on this album, it is pristinely recorded and each song is immaculate. Love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics mostly tell stories of death and drugs, but manage not to be cliched. The choruses are extremely catchy and the verses clever and well-rhymed. Whiplasher has an amazing deep booming voice, and although it is probably stuffed with pro-tools, who isnt these days? Some of the lyrics manage to convey emotions and the final track "Termination Bliss" may draw the odd tear. Each song makes combination of both whiplashers deep singing, and throaty whispering, sometimes simultaneously. I think this is a great combination, and I would rate very highly the vocals on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: I think it is much superior to many of the industrial artists of this day. The songs don't vary much in structure and ideas, but each has its own story and catch, and I love each one. To pick out the best songs on the album, I would have to go for the "Toungues", "Motherzone", "Play God" and final track of the album "Termination Bliss". On my version of the CD, there are also two bonus tracks, both remixes of earlier songs. "Termination Bliss Piano Remix" takes the eponymous track of the album and strips it down to strings and piano. "Blitzkreig Driven On Remix" takes the second song, "Blitzkreig Boom" and, well, makes it a bit more techno. Allthough it is interesting, I'm not fond of this song. I can't find many criticisms for this album, and I can honestly say I love every minute. If I lost this CD or it was stolen, I would either buy it again, or I would by deathstar's first album, synthetic generation. // 10

Termination Bliss Reviewed by: enterlude, on august 08, 2007

Sound: If you're going to judge a book by it's cover, then it has to be said that the Deathstars do look a lot like Marilyn Manson in one of his umpteen different guises. Yet, we all know we shouldn't, and furthermore if that's all we ever did, nobody would have ever bought a copy of the Bible, least not these guys, who would surely be as likely to turn a Gatling Gun on the Holy Book rather then ever buy one. And as Nightmare Industries (the band's guitarist) told RockSomething earlier this year, the Deathstars have always looked this way since they formed 14 years ago; Where was Manson then? he asked. Also, the Deathstars aren't actually a bunch of anti-Christs that single out Jesus and God as their route to controversy, instead the Swedes turn their hands towards the superficial make-up of Western society. This black Syndicate is a burning ballroom/ Dirt, drinks and pills and Gucci drenched in blood, sings Whiplasher Bernadotte on Death in Vogue and it pretty much sums up the Deathstars' attitude throughout. // 8

Lyrics: Mixed by Stefen Glaumann (Rammstein and Clawfinger), it comes as no surprise that the Deathstars have a heavy industrial sound and a knack for catchy melodies and strong riffs. Cyanide and Play God are two of the most beguiling tracks, but there's a wealth of addictive industri-gothness to wallow in on Termination Bliss, including the title track itself. Bernadotte's vocals are often similar to Fields of Nephilim's Carl McCoy and like that band the Deathstars carry about them an unnerving sense of darkness for much of the record's duration. // 9

Overall Impression: Unfortunately there is the odd pointless Euro-chorus When the dark does what the dark does best/It's darkness, but even that is delivered in a way that suggests the Deathstars are about to become incredibly popular indeed. In their own words, on Termination Bliss, they've taken the darkness out of the woods and put it in a limousine and it's hard to disagree. // 8

Comments