Nihility review by Decapitated

• Released: Mar 4, 2002
Decapitated: Nihility

Of their four full albums, Nihility is probably the most recognizable and possibly best quality output from the the Polish death-metallers Decapitated. The opening track Perfect Dehuminasation does a terrific job of grabbing the listener by the throat and keeping the listener's interest. Other standout songs include the title track Nihility, and Spheres of Madness, which is easily Decapitated's most recognizable track. All characteristics of their other albums hold true on Nihility; Vitek's speedy bass drum and technically sound blasting, Vogg's "hyper-technical" guitar solos and riffs, and Sauron's death growl each are given equal opportunities to shine on this album.

I am a huge fan of Decapitated's lyrics and quite poetic vocal style. On this album, Sauron's vocals sound f--king amazing, and less like human sounds than that of demonic hellspawn. His lyrics are some of the more original in the death metal genre, but equally hard to figure out. My favorite lyrics on this album are those to Eternity Too Short, and Mother War. Whether you can understand Sauron's meaning in his lyics or not, his vocal style seems to mesh perfectly with the music.

Nihility is one of the greatest death metal feats ever produced. It is an absolute essential for any fan of hard, fast, extreme music. There is something new and interesting about every song, like Vitek's well-timed drum mini drum solos, or Vogg's ever-present brilliant solos and riffs. There is abosolutely nothing to dislike about Nihility and for that matter, nothing to dislike about any other Decapitated album. On a side-note, this record actually makes for really awesome workout music, especialy for lifting weights. If it were stolen, I would find, rape, strangle, kill, and butcher the body of whoever took this amazing work of musicianship.

Alucard II
    rockybo wrote: Of their four full albums, Nihility is probably the most recognizable and possibly best quality output from the the Polish death-metallers Decapitated. Discounted the rest of your review right there. Everything Decapitated's done after Winds of Creation has paled in comparison to their debut. Nihility sounds like a dance record with all the electronic sounds in it.
    Nihility IS the most recognisable, because of the industrial guitar tone and kick-focused mixing on the drums. and its quality of sound is far superior to that of Winds, thus, what the guy said was spot on. and to pitch in my 2 cents, Winds is still my favourite Decapitated album. i saw them on Friday and good JAYSAS - i have never been to a more insane gig. it was ****ing awesome.
    jumpmanhat
    i strongly agree
    BR00TAL
    Yeah Nihility is easily their best in my opinion. Closely followed by Winds although my opinion often varies. Brief but spot on review, Nihility is a monster of an album. Superb musicianship and songwriting combined with wonderful production.
    evilmnky204
    I love both albums, but I always find the recording that Decapitated did with Nihility with the drums was a little weird, the double bass was WAY too loud. Overall I like this album a bit more than Winds of Creation, just for Nihility and Spheres of Madness though.
    liledman_76
    i love this album and the other week i bought one of the (as far as i know) few remaining copies left in australia
    Jab_
    I think "the negation" is the best album. Although i love all the decapitated albums.
    sexclamation
    The best technical death metal I have heard from a technical death metal. In my opinion, none of their other albums top this one but their other albums are very good. Nihility remains my favorite technical death metal album of all time. Their ability to make groovy ass brutal riffs is insane and Vitek(RIP) was one of the best drummers around
    rockybo