The Negation review by Decapitated

• Released: Mar 9, 2004
Decapitated: The Negation

This album is one of the most crushing and brutal albums I have ever heard. It is Decaps third studio release, and contains riffs that literally penetrate the borderline of your sanity, with bass and drums that make you want to stand up and kill things. Decapitated preserved their reknowned technicality and extremeness to the max on this record. Excellent quality recording, The Fury and Three Dimensional Deffect really stick out for me and I really dig the eerie instrumental interlude "The Calling", it's a breather from the mayhem and chaos of the other songs but it's ambience really puts you in a peculiar state of mind and for me this really added to album (normally I hate fillers like this). Vogg had some incredible leadwork on this album. Decapitated are really breaking boundaries and avoiding the norm with albums like this, it really establishes them with a signature sound. Extremely aggresive, technical, fast and brutal. Just the way we like it boys!

Sauron brings us his usual deep monstrous growls for this record. This would be the last album he'd release with Decapitated before Covan took over vocal duties for Organic Hallucinosis. From what I've read the lyrics touch subjects of reaching equilibrium, passing time, madness, the apolcalypse and the traditional paradoxes which they have used in their songs since their debut album "Winds of Creation" in 2000. Sauron is a true death metal vocalist, although not much variation, and lacks dynamics he does his job and growls out the vox angrily with great intensity.

I was disapointed with how short the album was at first, but from listening to the songs, you wont mind. Yes it may be rather short, but the quality of tracks your left with are brilliant. A short album with mindblowing material is better then a long one with songs of only average quality. The songs really blend in with eachother, I just adore the signature Decapitated sound and excellent production, it is a slight bit repetetive but this a problem many bands of the genre suffer from. I really enjoyed the instrumental as it really added to the album, and on some copies of the album there is a bonus track, a cover of Deicide's "Lunatic of God's Creation" which as you probally guessed, kicks ass! It's great to hear such classics being covered! A must for Decapitated fans and death heads alike.