The Negation review by Decapitated

• Released: Mar 9, 2004
Decapitated: The Negation

The Negation is my favorite death metal album of all time. Some of the most brutal death metal albums in my collection sound like power metal in comparison. The hammering guitar riffs combined with Sauron's vocals will completely destroy your senses. Some of the riffs are so twisted (sensual sickness) and evil you wonder how sounds like that can exist. What I noticed is that every song shows skillful simplicity without getting boring. The band has reached the point where they don't have to write overly technical riffs to show they're a bad ass death metal band. They do more with less, and it's always great to see bands evolve in that direction. The Negation will blow your mind with its organic production sound and ruthless attitude.

The lyrics are deep and complex, touching on themes of human nature and the question of our existence. The track Sensual Sickness is about denying our true nature as human beings, and that we will die with a clouded vision of our own purpose. The Empty Throne is similar, using religion as one of the main causes for misleading people towards the promise of the afterlife or immortality. I see The Empty Throne as a way of saying there will be no God waiting for us on a throne when we die. There won't even be a throne; the use of the word is for imagery. Sauron's vocals are aggressive as usual. There's not much more more I can say about his growling because he has it down perfectly. He doesn't change his style much, but does he really need to? This is Decapitated.

Decapitated know what they're doing, and that's why they always put out great albums. The Negation is the perfect process of funneling anger and insanity into music. My favorite tracks are The Fury, The Negation and Three-Dimensional Defect; they are the tracks you will remember from this album, especially Negation and Three-Dimensional because of those slow, relentless chunky guitar riffs. If you like death metal a little bit you'll learn to be obsessed. Hell, my 50 year old dad has listened to The Negation more than I have.