The Negation Review

Decapitated: The Negation
Released: Mar 9, 2004
Label: Earache
Genre: Technical Death Metal
On "The Negation", they cover all the death metal bases - powerful, blastbeat-filled drumming, dissonant yet memorable guitar riffs, and inventive guitar solos.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
The Negation Reviewed by: Aaron 2, on august 05, 2005

Sound: Phernominal! the drums aren't just beat blasting like a lot of their previous albums did, but none the less, these are impressive musicians. The riffs are more complex, they use a lot of hammering, as you may notice if you listen to the beginning of the first trak 'Fury' just after the long roar. This album is more into the bass to, so when you are in your car to pick up your nan from bingo, you can appriciate the journey a hell of alot more. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are basically the sort of thing you want to listen to when you're about to rip off someones face! Sauron's vocals aren't just deep either like in 'Winds Of Creation' and onwards, he is more furious and putting through the point that they are death metal and they're here to stay! // 10

Overall Impression: If you like Diecide, Morbid Angel and Nile, then you will cream in your pants when you hear this! // 10

The Negation Reviewed by: 11thHour, on july 02, 2007

Sound: This album is one of the most crushing and brutal albums I have ever heard. It is Decaps third studio release, and contains riffs that literally penetrate the borderline of your sanity, with bass and drums that make you want to stand up and kill things. Decapitated preserved their reknowned technicality and extremeness to the max on this record. Excellent quality recording, The Fury and Three Dimensional Deffect really stick out for me and I really dig the eerie instrumental interlude "The Calling", it's a breather from the mayhem and chaos of the other songs but it's ambience really puts you in a peculiar state of mind and for me this really added to album (normally I hate fillers like this). Vogg had some incredible leadwork on this album. Decapitated are really breaking boundaries and avoiding the norm with albums like this, it really establishes them with a signature sound. Extremely aggresive, technical, fast and brutal. Just the way we like it boys! // 10

Lyrics: Sauron brings us his usual deep monstrous growls for this record. This would be the last album he'd release with Decapitated before Covan took over vocal duties for Organic Hallucinosis. From what I've read the lyrics touch subjects of reaching equilibrium, passing time, madness, the apolcalypse and the traditional paradoxes which they have used in their songs since their debut album "Winds of Creation" in 2000. Sauron is a true death metal vocalist, although not much variation, and lacks dynamics he does his job and growls out the vox angrily with great intensity. // 8

Overall Impression: I was disapointed with how short the album was at first, but from listening to the songs, you wont mind. Yes it may be rather short, but the quality of tracks your left with are brilliant. A short album with mindblowing material is better then a long one with songs of only average quality. The songs really blend in with eachother, I just adore the signature Decapitated sound and excellent production, it is a slight bit repetetive but this a problem many bands of the genre suffer from. I really enjoyed the instrumental as it really added to the album, and on some copies of the album there is a bonus track, a cover of Deicide's "Lunatic of God's Creation" which as you probally guessed, kicks ass! It's great to hear such classics being covered! A must for Decapitated fans and death heads alike. // 9

The Negation Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2009

Sound: The Negation is my favorite death metal album of all time. Some of the most brutal death metal albums in my collection sound like power metal in comparison. The hammering guitar riffs combined with Sauron's vocals will completely destroy your senses. Some of the riffs are so twisted (sensual sickness) and evil you wonder how sounds like that can exist. What I noticed is that every song shows skillful simplicity without getting boring. The band has reached the point where they don't have to write overly technical riffs to show they're a bad ass death metal band. They do more with less, and it's always great to see bands evolve in that direction. The Negation will blow your mind with its organic production sound and ruthless attitude. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and complex, touching on themes of human nature and the question of our existence. The track Sensual Sickness is about denying our true nature as human beings, and that we will die with a clouded vision of our own purpose. The Empty Throne is similar, using religion as one of the main causes for misleading people towards the promise of the afterlife or immortality. I see The Empty Throne as a way of saying there will be no God waiting for us on a throne when we die. There won't even be a throne; the use of the word is for imagery. Sauron's vocals are aggressive as usual. There's not much more more I can say about his growling because he has it down perfectly. He doesn't change his style much, but does he really need to? This is Decapitated. // 10

Overall Impression: Decapitated know what they're doing, and that's why they always put out great albums. The Negation is the perfect process of funneling anger and insanity into music. My favorite tracks are The Fury, The Negation and Three-Dimensional Defect; they are the tracks you will remember from this album, especially Negation and Three-Dimensional because of those slow, relentless chunky guitar riffs. If you like death metal a little bit you'll learn to be obsessed. Hell, my 50 year old dad has listened to The Negation more than I have. // 10

Comments