Dimishing Between Worlds Review

8.3
 9.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Dimishing Between Worlds Reviewed by: azria032, on april 19, 2011

Sound: Decrepit Birth is basically another So-Cal style technical death metal band, but come with something lightly touched by other artists within the genre. This special something, is skipping past being as technical as possible 24/7 and possessing the ability to throw in an epic riff amongst the brutality (f--k off all you deathcore haters, I mean brutal as in BRUTAL.) Riff wise, Matt Sotelo is a guy that takes riffs that are strikingly similar in formula to that of the legendary band Death, being as "Oh really? He makes it sound a lot harder than it really is." The catch is he takes this formula and makes it his own, by adding a Neo-classical twist to everything, especially the solos (which seem to be his strong point, in my honest opinion. Nothing catches me like a good lead). The drums are relentless and somehow suiting, (don't quote this, but I think it was Tim Yeung who was on this album. LOTS of double bass.) The vocals are also matched with the rest of the band with a unique sounding growl, but after a while it seems monotonous. For being as unique as they are, the only drawback is that after listening to this album for a year, everything still sounds similar in some way. Apart from this, Diminishing Between Worlds is a highly regarded modern techdeath album. Favorite songs have been Dimishing Between Worlds, Essence of Creation, Dimensions Intertwine, and the instrumental track The Enigmatic Form. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics that Bill Robinson (and Sotelo) incorporate into the music are usually along the topic of Space and Time, another trend which is creeping into Technical Death Metal bands like The Faceless, Origin, Obscura, etc. The lyrics aren't exactly memorable (I mean come on, they don't have that stereotypical deathcore oneliner or anything) as they are poetic. Example being: (From Dimensions Intertwine) Incanting oaths of desecration... to condemn Summoning of the ancient powers... unto me Invoking of the light creation... to deceive Emptiness that once contained... nonexistence I will thee Essence of form Imagination Evolves malevolence Of my visions Of my destiny Overall, the vocalist is talented for being able to memorize these weird sentence fragments when playing live, but in terms of sound he doesn't bring anything new to the table. However, what he does bring is suiting, and powerful to say the least. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is truly one of a kind, at least from which I've seen. If I had to compare it to other bands/albums, definitely look into Epitaph by Necrophagist, anything by Death, A Loathing Requiem, Decapitated, this album pretty much fits in with any band of their genre. If you find yourself to be fond of this album, you should also look into their latest release "Polarity", and if you want a more raw version of this band check out "...And Time Begins", Polarity being an upgraded version of this album, in my opinion (more leads, everything is 5 times as epic. The instrumental is more solid, it's literally a second chapter). If this album were stolen from me, It's definitely worth another buy. Diminishing Between Worlds is an album I can definitely recommend to everyone within the metal genre, because as some people might say "I hate how none of it makes sense, blah blah" It definitely has something to offer. // 8

Comments