Bananas review by Deep Purple

• Released: Sep 9, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Deep Purple: Bananas

This is the first Deep Purple album after Jon Lord's departure. And, to be honest, the difference is easily noticed. Not because I have something personal with the new keyboard player, Don Airey, but it's just evident how the band is searching new horizons: I half agree with their search. In one hand, it's possible to say that some tracks are enjoyable ("House Of Pain", "Razzle Dazzle" or "Bananas"), and they make justice for the legendary band they are. But in the other hand, I feel some unoriginal vibe in some songs ("Haunted", "Walk On" or "Doing It Tonight"), which are boring, or doesn't really go on with the deep purple's style. Anyway, the sound engineer managed to make this album worse than it could have been. It sounds like a cheap mp3; the bass is almost inaudible in some tracks.

This is the higher point of the album. I don't know how, but mister Ian Gillan always have some interesting story to be told: "You know I can dream in any language, Flying on my magic bed, And I don't need to work my passage, All I do is use my head" is a verse of "Silver Tongue", one of the highlights of the album. The title track's lyrics are a bit weird, let's say: "Now my love is Richer than rich, 'Cause I studied, Mathematics, Graduated, Without honours, Everyone has Gone Bananas". They seem to be quite improvised, beacause he really sings more deeply inspired songs than these one.I definetely admire his sense of humour, and his impressive skills.

I would never ever imagine this legendary old school british hard rock band to make an album like this, so different, and strange to their origins. My personal favorites are "House Of Pain", "Silver Tongue", "I've Got Your Number", the beatiful and inspired "Never A Word", and "Bananas".The last track, "Contact Lost", written by the talented guitar player steve morse, is inspired by the tragedy of the columbia mission during 2003. And is quite emotional how the instrumental says it all: sadness and desesperation. My least favorites are "Razzle Dazzle", "Picture Of Innocence" and the the awful "Doing It Tonight", which shouldn't belong to deep purple, as they aren't a reggae band. The album doesn't even compare to their fantastic album "Purpendicular" or any of their previous works. The level isn't the best here, as they have much more to offer. If it were stolen/lost, I guess I would buy it again, but after a period of time realizing if I really miss this album, or if it's really worth keeping it in my collection of purple's albums.

sambargun
    Spot on. I remember listening to this quite a few years back. Nowhere close to "Machinehead" but overall a good record. And the lyrics are weird in a funny way. No idea what happened to my copy, I guess that sums it up.....
    mrrman
    Colohue
    Well there is only one founding member left, and he was a replacement originally too. You can't expect it to still sound like Deep Purple.
    Cobalt Blue
    Roger Glover wasn't a founding member. But him and Ian Gillan were with the band during the MKII line up where they had the majority of their hits. Ian Paice is technically the only member who's always been in the band. but the first line up of Deep Purple sounded vastly different front MK II who recorded Machine head and most of their other hit albums. Bananas is pretty good, I saw them 3 times on tour for the album. It's the second best album with Steve Morse. Purendicular is far better, but Bananas is better than Abandon and their newest one.
    mrrman wrote: never heard the new keyboard player yet so I will give it a listen...Lord rocks though
    Don is almost as good as Jon. Don played with Ozzy back in the day, he's pretty awesome.
    vsdornelas
    withoutanyname wrote: eum... as far as I know, Roger Glover and Ian Paice are 2 founding members...
    glover isn't a founding member. The founding members of Deep Purple are: -Ian Paice -Jon Lord -Nick Simper -Ritchie Blackmore -Rod Evans
    District
    Hmm, I consider 6.7 a bit low for Bananas. I really love the album. Nice review though.