In Rock review by Deep Purple

Deep Purple: In Rock

In Rock is one of early Deep Purple CDs (MK II), and it's got really dirty sound. Guitar sound has got a lot of distorsion and Jon Lord plays the organ with distorted guitar sound, in short, all sounds dirty. Only vocals and the slow parts of Child in Time are clean. Somebody won't like this album, well, it's so far from Stormbringer's sound (most clean) but it's the predecessor of their best album (Machine Head). At least you should hear it, to know how they got Machine Head. All the songs are pretty good, hard rock mixed with blues (early heavy metal). All of them are fast, excepting Child in Time. Deep Purple's song structures are, at least, surprising. In example: some songs start with the organ solo at the beginning. Purple's sound is unique, and this record shows it very well.

Ian Gillan sings very well on this album, not really really high, excepting child in time, but he sings very clean, comparing to the sound of the album. He gives a strong power to the recordings. Lyrics are well, I don't understand a lot, but what there is I like, there's not a conceptual album, like most of them, but it's a good work. As I said, Gillan has a huge vocal range, and he can get really high notes, specially well-heard in Child in Time. But this song is for listening the solo, not him! Overall, he does a good work here.

The bonus tracks are some "chat parts" and versions of the songs (like piano version, etc, some ruled out recordings of the songs), I don't think we need them to buy the album, it's great alone (and better)! This album is an early metal stuff, as I said before, it's heavier than Machine Head, and much better than earlier and later Purple's albums. The band became more blues-rock after Gillan's and Glover's departures. So, that album and the next are unique, and probably the best of them. All the songs have good solos, you should listen to them carefully.