Machine Head review by Deep Purple

• Released: Mar 30, 1972
Deep Purple: Machine Head

This is one of Deep Purple's famous albums. Contains the single "Smoke On The Water". I love the riff to that song, one of the best riffs to exist. I tried listening to the other tracks but they are sort of mediocre, but not bad. Not exactly remarkable. "Smoke On The Water" I consider is actually the main attraction.

The lyrics on "Smoke On The Water" tell of an event that really happened to Deep Purple during their recording of Machine Head. They went to the Lake Geneva shoreline in Montreaux to record that album. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention were at the best place around, but someone stupid with a flagon burned the place to the ground. That talks of the actual smoke on the water, and fire in the sky. It burned down the gambling house, died with an awful sound. So the band had to find another place to rest. They found one, then there was this Rolling Stone truck thing just outside, so they made their music there. Note in the lyrics he missung it and said "Rolling Truck Stones Thing", but it still was a good song. Like I said, I tried to get into the other songs, but they are mediocre, in my opinion.

The main attraction is "Smoke On The Water", which I'm sure a lot of people are familiar of or heard a million times or know very well by its riff. But I suggest that you hear the tracks from the album before you buy it, if you somehow could get into it.