Machine Head review by Deep Purple

• Released: Mar 30, 1972
Deep Purple: Machine Head

Great album. This album has brilliant songs on it. 01. Highway Star - best song about cars, and great guitar solo and organ solo. 02. Maybe I'm A Leo - very good, but notup to the rest of the songs on the album. 03. Pictures Of Home - definately one of the best Deep Purple songs. Brilliant drum intro, and you can't say no to a song that has a guitar, keyboard and bass solo. Absolutely brilliant. 04. Never Before - the single off the album. Good, but not a standout. 05. Smoke On The Water - memorable riff, lyrics and guitar solo. It's great but there are other standout tracks on the album. 06. Lazy - the first four minutes on this song are kind of like a jam session with great solos and riffs. Top song. 07. Space Truckin' - final song on album. Great riffs, guitar solo and cool drum solo.

Great lyrics, Ian Gillian has a fantastic voice and it really shows. The MkII lineup is one of the best in rock history. The lyrics go with the music really well.

Machine Head is one of my favourite albums, and is a very consistent album. The slower songs like track 2 and 4 are less memorable but nevertheless great. Best song on the album? Pictures Of Home without a doubt. Deep Purple MkII are all immensely talented, especially Jon Lord (keyboard) and Ritchie Blackmore (guitars). Needless to say I'd get this again if I lost it. It's a pity it was the last Deep Purple MkII album. Go and buy it!