Machine Head review by Deep Purple

• Released: Mar 30, 1972
Deep Purple: Machine Head

Great album through & through. Machine Head proved to be one of the greatest classic & influential albums of all time with tracks such as "Lazy", "Highway Star" & of course, the ever-famous "Smoke On The Water." This album has a great sound that dawned a new age of music, forging a heavier sound than most of the groups around at the time. This is an essential album for any fan of classic rock or the pioneers of metal (such as Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath of course). This album is amazing all-around and I still love to put it on from time-to-time & listen to it all the way through.

Ian Gillan is inarguably the greatest singer that ever graced the Deep Purple line-up in my opinion (and most Deep Purple fans as well). His vocals are loud, high-pitched and at other times, chilling. Basically, the lyrics and vocals just go hand in hand. Without them, a lot of singers would not have been. Gillan's operatic style will always be what I consider the starting point of falsetto vocals in rock/metal music, regardless of what anyone else claims.

Definitely Deep Purple's best studio album (their best being "Made In Japan" which was recorded live during the tour of this album). My personal favourites will always be "Lazy", "Pictures Of Home" (my personal fav) & "Highway Star". But the whole album is amazing to listen to all the way through! This album is over 30 years old, so I wouldn't mind replacing it (since it's easily accesible & inexpensive), but the vinyl copy I have is another story. That's irreplaceable.

Shreddin 4 Life
    Pictures Of Home - a bit bland.
    :haha what's wrong with you, it's fast-paced, and has 2 guitar solos, a keyboard solo, a bass solo & even some killer drumming! are u sure that's the right song ur talking about?
    mark---
    pictures of home is an awesome song probably the best song on the cd
    SethMegadefan
    Shreddin 4 Life wrote: lmao someone didn't find my review helpful? lemme guess: because I didn't give it a 10? lol
    There, I voted it helpful. Now you're 1 out of 2. Your review was pretty spot-on, by the way. I think I'll type up my own very soon. I just got into this album about three months ago, and it's astounding. PsychoWolf's review is terrible, by the way. So misinformed...