Machine Head review by Deep Purple

• Released: Mar 30, 1972
Deep Purple: Machine Head

Machine Head was Deep Purples sixth studio album and it was released in 1972. It has lots of great guitar and organ solos. Music styles on this album are hard rock and heavy metal. The album opens with "Highway Star", which is the heaviest song of the album. It's a six minute piece with superb solos by Lord and Blackmore. An other song with lots of solos is called "Lazy". It's over 7 minutes long and mostly instrumental. There is also the song with the best known guitar riff ever on this album, "Smoke On The Water".

Well, there isn't much to say about the lyrics. There aren't usually any special stories behind the lyrics, except in "Smoke On The Water". It tells the famous story when band went to a Frank Zappa concert in Montreux, Switzerland and the concert place was burned down. Ian Gillan is a very talented singer and he has a good voice. He can sing high-pitched and very low vocals well.

I would say this is the best album by Deep Purple. There are just so great songs on this album. My favourite is probably Highway Star because of the awesome song. Lazy and Pictures of Home are the other standout tracks in my opinion. There isn't much to hate, the only song which I don't like so much is Maybe I'm a Leo, it isn't as good as the others. I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen or lost.

Shreddin 4 Life
    HAHA! Finally read it! SethMegadefan , ur review is great - even better than mine in some ways I would say! And yeah, PsychWolf 's review is SO TERRIBLE...he basically recites the lyrics to SotW the whole time and claims that it's the main attraction...what the hell is that???
    jfsj123
    nice review especially shreddins review. anyways pretty cool album not my fav band but one hell of album this is. sotw is tbh quite overrated compared to the other songs
    Shreddin 4 Life
    HAHAHA Wow, it's so bad...Im glad some ppl liked my review but man I would have been so much more objective if I were to make another!
    DaMetalMaverick
    Quality album! If PsychoWolf thinks 'Smoke On The Water' was the only track worth listening to and the rest were 'a little mediocre' (how can you say that about 'Highway Star'?), he/she needs to wax their ears out good and proper and give this album another listen, not to mention write a better review...