Made In Japan review by Deep Purple

• Released: Jan 1, 1972
Deep Purple: Made In Japan

This is the remastered version of Made In Japan with 3 encores and a gentle sonci revamp. That being said, everything on hear is exactly as it would've been heard at the actual concerts in Japan in August 72. This is one of the greatest live albums ever and captures Deep Purple at there prime, one of the few bands to perfectly balance the rock and the roll in rock 'n' roll. The sound is terrific considering it's all live, in particular Blackmores modified Strat tone and Gillains near perfect vocals. "The Mule" perfectly captures Ian Paice's genious on drums and Jon Lords organ is a lot more potent then on record, particularly during "Smoke On The Water."

The lyrics are perfectly simple but all in all sum up what rock n roll is, exciting and fun. ("I'm a speed king/You gotta kill this thing" "Ooooo I'm in heavan again/I got everything") Gillain's screams and scats in "Strange Kinda Woman" rival Robert Plants opening scream to "Immigrant Song" on Led Zeps How The West Was Won. "Highway Star" in particular features a perfect blend of lyrics and instrumentation and vocal to maximum effect.

Perhaps the only two weak links in this album are "The Mule" (it drags a bit) and "Lucille" (not actually a Deep Purple song). Yet "Highway Star," "Child In Time," "Smoke On The Water," "Lazy," "Black Night" and "Speed King" make up for these one thousand times over. I adore this albuma and am more then chuffed that I got it for 4.25 at a sale at the tax free HMV in Heathrow Terminal 1. I would certainly buy it again if it were stollen, that being said it's on my PC so I could just burn another copy for free.