Who Do We Think We Are review by Deep Purple

• Released: Jan 1, 1973
Deep Purple: Who Do We Think We Are

The legendary Mark II of Deep Purple was suffering with constant fights and tension, which resulted in the last Ian Gillan-Roger Glover DP album in the 70's, being replaced by David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes, that would later record Burn. Despite the problems, especially between singer Ian Gillan and guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, Deep Purple recorded songs with the same power they always did, even though Blackmore wasn't writing great solos as he did in Machine Head. Good examples are Rat Bat Blue and the album' single, Woman From Tokyo.

Gillan lyrics for the songs are good, about themes that we don't hear about that much, but his singing seem to be a bit sad, probably a result of the fights with the band. Mary Long, the album outtake Painted Horse shows that Gillan wasn't as confortable as the three previous albums.

Still, despite the problems, Who Do We Think We Are has the intensity of Jon Lord's keyboards, Ian Paice's powerful drums, Roger Glover's driving bass, Ian Gillan's unique vocals and Ritchie Blackmore's amazing guitar. The album closes the MK II era in the 70's, but it does it very nicely.

cazozzy
    I really like this album. "Our Lady" and "Woman From Tokyo" rock.