Halcyon Digest Review

9.3
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Halcyon Digest Reviewed by: rknight182, on january 17, 2011

Sound: Deerhunter's return with the album "Halcyon Digest" truly marks them down as a name to be wrecking with! The exemplify the sound of nostalgia meets indie rock. Each song on this bombards the listener with a warm, dreamy feeling that is hard to come by with todays standards. A great album to "trance-out" to. // 9

Lyrics: Bradford Cox is easily one of the best lyricists of todays music. He easily can turn a memory or story into a emotion packed recollection. He may not have the greatest voice, but he knows how to use what he has a an instrument to compliment a song (the song "sailing" is a great example). The lyrics in this album are amazing, and will paint an image even from the first listen. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is Deerhunter's masterpiece. Quite simply the best album they have written to date. The songs that stand out at me are "Sailing", "Desire Lines" (best on the album), and "helicopter". I love how this album can make you just think back to the days when everything felt great, yet it keeps you ever awake to what may happen next. Definitely a intelligent album to say the least. You can't help but relax when you hear this album. The only thing I dislike is the occasional lack of creativity. Some songs sound very similar. But hey, it does alot better job than most albums! My favorite of 2010! I would definitely buy another copy if I lost it. // 10

Comments