Def Leppard review by Def Leppard

• Released: Oct 30, 2015
Def Leppard: Def Leppard

Def Leppard haven't shied away from taking risks musically over the past two decades, which led to a fair amount of controversy aimed towards a group once widely recognized as one of the leaders in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Releases such as the criminally ignored 1996 effort "Slang" demonstrated a dive into alternative metal territory, whereas 2002's "X" and 2008's "Songs From the Sparkle Lounge" featured more commercial ventures more focused towards pop rock and even a collaboration with country music vocalist Tim McGraw; needless to say, such efforts only captured the interest of a handful of dedicated Leppard advocates, let alone those rock listeners who only recognized the band for the radio staples off of "Hysteria" and "Pyromania." After waiting seven years between releasing a new album - time spent heavily on the touring market, might I note - Def Leppard have returned with a self-titled record which has moments on par with the expectations of both diehard and casual headbangers alike.

The opening track "Let's Go" has served as a refreshing introduction during Leppard's live performances and does enforce an enhanced impact on the guitar work of Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell, which is perhaps the most formidable found on a new Def Leppard album since "Hysteria." The lyrics aren't groundbreaking in the least, yet the comfort of aggressive distortion and those distinctive group vocal harmonies is enough to propell the record from the starting gate. "Dangerous" and "Invincible" feed upon that formula by invoking slight references to previous selections in the Def Leppard catalog, yet retain enough fresh elements to avoid being called a complete rehash. "Man Enough" incorporates a vintage 1970s blues rock groove with modern production qualities, and "We Belong" features lead vocals from each member of the lineup at one point or another, proving that there was a certain amount of direction and focus behind this self-titled installment.

Such selections as "Broke 'n' Brokenhearted" and "All Time High" have a strong "High 'n' Dry" character that hasn't been embraced in decades, whereas "Battle of My Own" is an upbeat acoustic rocker that builds upon the success of "Two Steps Behind" with slightly more energy. "Forever Young" is arguably the album's weakest moment because of it's chorus alone, which is eerily similar to that of Alphaville's song of the same name. "Last Dance" sets the vibe back even further towards the aforementioned "Two Steps Behind" through moderate percussion and mainman Joe Elliott's lighthearted lower vocal range, just as the album reaches one of it's clear highlights: "Wings of an Angel." If there was a song more fitting to hit airtime behind "Dangerous," it's this number. The gradual buildup of rhythm guitar and soaring vocal harmonies before reaching a climactic and melodic refrain is pure 1980s glam metal bliss, which couldn't sound more like a "Hysteria" outtake unless Elliott mustered up a few of those manic primal screams which have long been worn down through rigorous touring.

Joe Elliott's original range is largely present over the course of Def Leppard's self-titled studio album. As previously mentioned, long gone are the soaring yells that highlighted "Bringin' on the Heartbreak" and "Comin' Under Fire," yet Elliott is still able to channel his lower and middle register fruitfully throughout. After countless years of persistent time spent out on the road and singing two hour sets, it's surprising that Elliott hasn't lost all of that same charm and energy, yet it plays out in the favor of Def Leppard here.

Def Leppard weren't necessarily expected to go into the studio and craft such a bold return to form with their self-titled album, however this is the album that many longtime listeners were hoping would fall from the rafters at the some point in the future. The guitar playing is back at the forefront, as is the dedication to hard rock and attention to vocal hooks and group harmonies. For dedicated fans of Def Leppard, their self-titled album is a frequently rewarding listen that assures there's still plenty of life left in this veteran unit.

MetalBanger91
    I thought it was a solid album. Much better than the last one.
    HeidiCPascua
    I'm making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do. www.wallstreet34.com
    RichieJovie
    My only complaint about it is some of the lyrical rhyming schemes which are juvenile at best. " I am invincible, I am invisible" ... please , really? Derisible.
    kill it
    I gave the new self titled album a few listens. Just so you all know I am a fan of Pyromania, High n Dry, and don't mind Hysteria. Hysteria is definitely more on the pop side but I enjoy all the layered guitars. The opening track borrows heavily from Pour Some Sugar on Me and is decent. The second track is also fairly solid. I would say these 2 songs could have been on Hysteria or Adrenalize. Unfortunately it goes all down hill from there. The rest of the album is very average and Joe Elliot can no longer scream or sing in high register. Only get this if your a superfan.
    RichieJovie
    Of course AC/DC, Iron Maiden or Metallica never sound like any of their previous material.....
    kill it
    I'm not criticizing the band for using a lick very similar to Pour Some Sugar on Me again. You are totally correct, many successful bands have a specific sound and hang out there. I just made a very obvious observation. I like the music on Pyromania, High n Dry and Hysteria. I just find that this new album is pretty boring.
    Diek321
    I really like Songs From The Sparkle Lounge, and I think it features exceptional guitar work, especially on songs like Bad Actress :/
    willis5000
    It's still great to see and hear the rockers I grew up with still putting out decent records (yes I know vinyl is almost a relic). They have always been a band where group cohesion wins out over some over-the-top solos or a singer who struts around too much like the cock of the block. I always enjoyed their concerts because they brought out the prettiest women around who love to crowd the front. LOL! Not to mention that they also sound great.
    DoubleS.0312
    with the two songs listed above I'm hearing "Photograph"s main Riff reversed in "Let's Go" and "Promises" Main Riff in "Dangerous" I might still get the album, however I find it weird that I seem to be the only one hearing this...
    Asterios
    People always judge Def Leppard albums for what they should sound like and not for what they actually are.Lets face it there will never be another Pyromania or Hysteria.This album is indeed their best album since Adrenalize. A solid guitar orientated rock album! "Let's go" (cool riff sounds like sugar) and "dangerous" (photograph meets promises) could be 80s hits in Hysteria or Pyromania album.If "Man Enough" was written by Queen in the 70s it would still be played in the radio. IF "We belong" or" last dance" was written by Bon jovi or Aerosmith we would talk about the ballad of the year. "All time high" and " broken-hearted" (reminds me of AC/DC) could be from high and dry album. "Battle of my own" is quite special with Zeppelin elements and great vocals from Elliot.The best is "Wings of an angel".One of the most powerful dynamic songs Leppard ever recorded.its great.It could be a Soundgarden or even Metallica song. They should put this single out now!!Another strong song is" invincible" and " Sea of love". Strong musical diversity covers the whole album. My recommendation is buy it and put it loud in your player and you ll see the difference!
    scottkunau
    We met the band this summer in Cincinnati and when I learned of a new CD I couldn't wait. I bought it the week it was released and have listened to the entire disc five or six times. Love every song on it!!! My favorites are Let's Go, Last Dance, Broke 'n' Brokenhearted, and Dangerous. Highly recommended to any Leppard fan and anyone who is checking out Def Leppard for the first time!